Saturday, September 11, 2010

Memories of September 11th


Those of you who have been Dustbunnies for a while know that I repost a couple things each year, and my recollection of the events that happened on September 11, 2001 is one of those posts.  And, as always, I ask that you share YOUR story of what happened to you on that day - no matter where you might have been or how inconsequential it might seem.

As we always learned from our History/Social Studies teachers - those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
September 11, 2001(originally posted on 9/11/07 - updated on 9/10/10)
It was such a beautiful day...
That is the way so many remembrances start when describing September 11, 2001. And the reason is because it was so true. It was a glorious, gorgeous day - until people started dying.
That morning I was in the shower - earlier than usual, for some reason - listening to 1010 WINS, the local all-news station, when I heard them announce "BREAKING NEWS NOW!". The announcer, in a VERY startled tone, said a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I don't know if it was his tone or what, but I gasped and backed up against the wall of the shower. I had no idea of any details (it could have been a little plane for all I knew), but I had a HORRIBLE feeling, and started to cry. To this day I can't explain my reaction to such a little bit of information, but it was almost like I could tell this was only the beginning.
When I got out of the shower, I turned on the TV, and tried to call my then-roommate. He was a flight attendant with United Airlines, and was on a trip, so I wanted to make sure he didn't have any connection to this. He picked up the phone - he was on a layover in Chicago, thank God - and was asking me questions like - "Was it a big plane, little plane, or what?". I had NO idea, and based on the pictures I couldn't tell. It was hard to get a good perspective when they were just showing a smoking hole in the building on TV.
Much later we learned that United flight 93 had gone down in Pennsylvania. My roommate had worked that flight many times, and knew one of the flight attendants who died. They held her memorial service at a church a few blocks away from our apartment at the time, which he went to with some of his co-workers.
After speaking to my roommate, I called my coworker and good friend D. As we talked on the phone and watched the news together, the other plane hit. I remember saying it was definitely an act of terrorism. Meanwhile, we were still discussing getting to our job at the restaurant, which is located downtown in Greenwich Village (between Midtown and Lower Manhattan where the WTC is/was). D finally hung up the phone because she had to get going. We knew our bosses would be mad if we didn't come in.
I continued to watch the news, and it suddenly dawned on me that D and I should NOT be heading downtown (toward the WTC) to work - we should be staying home. I still didn't have a grasp on the fact that there were actual people dying in those buildings - it seemed so abstract - but something told me it would NOT be smart to go toward the emergency. I tried to call D back, but she had already left.
I decided I would go downstairs and try to catch a cab or bus (they had already shut down the subway). I thought if D got to work, and I didn't at least try, our bosses would really be pissed at me (especially considering she lived farther away). I walked out of my building and onto 9th Avenue and got a cab immediately. At one point, while stopped at an intersection, someone in the back of a cab beside me said through our open windows - "They just hit the Pentagon and the Sears Tower in Chicago!!". News that day was all over the place - and unconfirmed reports were announced constantly.
While riding downtown I could see smoke, but at one point 9th Avenue makes a little curve left, and I was faced with a FULL VIEW of the smoking buildings. I remember gasping - all of a sudden it was REAL and right in front of me. The traffic started getting really congested - so I decided to walk the rest of the way.
People were all over the streets, just watching the burning buildings. I was walking down one of the side streets in the Village toward my restaurant when I heard everyone scream. The first building had just collapsed, although from where I was I couldn't hear or see anything other than the people around me screaming.  This was the only time I heard yelling - throughout the day I noticed that most people were eerily calm - I think we were all in shock.
By the time I got to my restaurant on 7th Avenue, which previously had a perfect view of the World Trade Center, all I could see was a ton of smoke/debris, and ONE smoking tower. It was unreal. Hundreds of people were walking uptown - it looked like an army of office workers walking calmly away from Downtown.
Even though the restaurant was closed, some random people came in through our unlocked side door - asking to use the restroom or phone, and ended up staying to watch the news. D finally made it in - she was on a subway train when they shut down the system and had to walk from 34th Street. By the time she had arrived, both buildings were gone.
I tried to call my family in Pennsylvania and couldn't get through (all regular circuits were busy and/or damaged). I finally got through to my friend Carl's 800 number at his job. He was in the break room watching the news, but I explained to his coworker who I was, and that I was in New York City, and would she please tell Carl to call my family and let them know I was OK? She was SO helpful and concerned - just like any good Central Pennsylvania resident would be. Carl was able to let my parents know I was OK. Apparently his coworkers went RUNNING around the office looking for him to give him the message.  Throughout the day I got many calls/messages from friends and loved ones making sure I was all right - even though I had no connection to the World Trade Center and didn't go there often.
It soon became obvious that the restaurant wasn't opening that day. So D and I started walking uptown with everyone else (our boss had come in and taken all the money out of the safe in case there was looting - which there wasn't - and padlocked the gates). There were people lined up at payphones, which seemed to work - people's cell phones were hardly working at all.
One of my most vivid memories of that day is walking past St. Vincent's hospital - which was a huge hospital and trauma center located a few blocks north of the restaurant [Note: This historic hospital went bankrupt a few months ago and is now closed]. The St. Vincent's staff were in "emergency mode" - with doctors, nurses, etc., posted outside to take care of the incoming wounded. And they were all just standing around, waiting for injured people who never came. Unreal.
D and I stopped at the Conway store in Herald Square to get her some comfortable shoes - because of course she had her usual "cha-cha sandals" on. We also stopped to get something to eat at a Pizza place on 7th Avenue and to rest a bit. When we finally got to Times Square it was eerily quiet - the thing I remember hearing the most were the fighter planes screeching by overhead. We parted company - she continued to her apartment on the Upper East Side - and I headed to Hell's Kitchen. By the time I got home, I realized I needed a drink - so I ended up walking ANOTHER 10 blocks to find an open liquor store.
Needless to say, that bottle of Bacardi Limon didn't stand a chance............


What do YOU remember from September 11th?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still remember the horror of that day... too many things to state in one comment.

;-/

the dogs' mother said...

Being out here in the Pacific Time Zone we heard about the first plane as we were waking up for school. The Engineer had left an hour earlier so he was at work. The twins were in 10th grade and GB in 6th grade. My decision was whether to send them to school or not. I decided to send them, they watched one tower fall and then got on the bus. Their teachers kept them informed, some rooms had tv, some didn't. The teachers discussed what was going on with them but they also tried to keep them distracted.

I made batches of brownies as I knew the whole neighborhood would be at our house after school. And they were. Lots of confusion amongst the kids about what was happening.

I called my parents, who didn't have the news on that morning and told them that something bad had happened. They watched the news and then my Dad called back and said, 'this will change everything'.

The Engineer said they piped a running news feed over the intercom. Many changes at the plant after that in tightened security which already involved armed guards with Uzis.

Hope we never have to go through that again but I worry.

Romance said...

I was drinking coffee in the Bay Window overlooking downtown SF readying to drive to the Bay Bridge when fighter jets started buzzing the skyline and the phone rang- to was my mom. "are you watching the news? we cannot find your sister, help us"

I flicked on the television and started calling my sister who was supposed to be exiting the WTC subway station as the first building collapsed. The circuits into NYC were dead so I started dialing my friends in Jersey.

We were lucky. For some reason, my sister, atypically and for no real reason she can describe- got out at Chambers street. And while she was covered with ash and saw many people jump to their deaths- she was able to run away from the waves of dust and ash.

And I am grateful. And I am lucky. And I never forget.

Joy said...

I was teaching my 9th grade English class when the principal announced it on the PA system in our rooms. I didn't have a radio or TV in my room and depended on reports from students who saw TV reports in other rooms the rest of the day. We talked about it, and I tried to help students all day with the shock and fear.

Teenagers are very dramatic and can spin out of control, so I wanted to keep things as normal as possible while still giving them a chance to discuss it some. We had class with time for that, too. We didn't know many details at first, so each class updated as the day went on.

Peter said...

It was local time 2.46 PM here.

While standing in my store a customer ran in and said something terrible had happened, since I knew he was Jewish and planning a trip to Israel my first thought was a major attack on Tel Aviv or Jerusalem.

Until he told me that two planes had flown into the WTC in NY. Most shops in the mall closed earlier that day because the lack of customers.

Wonder Man said...

it was a sad day. I just moved to Ithaca a month and a half before that day. My friends were still in NYC. They watched everything

Tivo Mom said...

I was on maternity leave from Bank of America in Charlotte. I had a 4 week old baby and was watching Regis and Kelly when breaking news interrupted my morning routine. I just remember trying to call my sister in NYC and not being able to get through and my dad calling panicked because he could not get her on the phone.

I could not turn off the TV. I sat with my newborn all day waiting for the joy of finding people alive and I refused to turn off the TV until they did. I wondered all day what world I had brought my son into.

Never will I forget the emotion of that day...

Bob said...

I was home that day.
Looking forward to a restful day off, but then I switched on the Today Show and gasped.
I remember calling Carlos at work and telling him to turn on a TV or radio. He asked if it was an accident, and I said, How could it be?
I sat in front of the TV all day as reports, true and false, filled the screen. I had family calling from California, saying they'd heard something about Miami.
I said we were fine.
Carlos' family in Mexico called, their news was all over the place. They'd heard of attacks all over the East coast. I worked my broken Soanish like I'd never done before, trying to tell them we were okay.
In the days following, Miami became a ghost town. Usually filled with tourists as fall inched closer, it would be silent, and still, for many months after.


Peace.

Tricky said...

I remember it like it were yesterday. That morning I'd voted in the NY Mayoral primary for Mark Green. I'd stopped by McDonalds on my way to work and gotten a large cup of Joe. The air was crisp and the sky was azure blue. A beautiful day. I made my way to my office on the 63rd floor of 2 World Trade Center. The time was 8:30 a.m.

In 15 minutes all hell was going to break loose and fuck up my day/life and thousands of other's lives. The images of people jumping, dying, screaming, and bleeding with our faces pressed against the glass are still vividly fresh. As are the images of the small group of us rushing down barren stairwells with eyes widened and fear and terror in the back of our throats and minds.

Nine years on and I still have my moments but I've learned to suppress the wave of panic and fear that sometimes wash over me.

Trying to move on but trying not to forget the friends I lost that day. As well as my innocence about the world.

Tom A. said...

About a week before 9/11. a guy I had met recently and had had a great date with invited me to spend the night on 9/10, since he didn't have to work until noon on Tuesday. It was our first of what I had hoped would be many sleepovers! We went out to breakfast at Friendly's, and heard the initial news on the radio on the way back to his house. We got home and turned on the Today Show, and watched with Matt and Katie as the 2nd plane hit. We were glued to the TV. I remember when the first tower fell Matt Lauer said "It looks like the facing of the building is coming off." And then the entire thing fell.

The guy, Tony, totally freaked out that morning, and immediately stopped returning my calls and emails. I ran into him a few years later at a bar, and we talked briefly about that weird morning. When I went to the bathroom and came back, he had left the bar. I never saw or heard from him again.

The guy

David Dust said...

I got this via email from Roald IX, a Dustbunny from Paris:

I'm a frenchman living and working (I'm a cashier) in Paris. On tuesday, september 11th, 2001 I was expecting to go to the doctor and I went there by metro. In the waiting room, I opened the newspaper of the day before I hadn't read yet. And I read a long article about the death of commander Massoud (killed on september 9th by fake journalists. It is considered today it was a signal of the 9/11 attacks).

Then I had my consultation with the doctor, everything fine, I'm fit. And I decided to take my time to go back to work. I stopped at McDonald's on a big Paris square. The attacks already took place a while before but I didn't know yet. I remember I found people in the street behaving differently and moving slowly.

So I went back to my work and I was a little "frightened", I was very late coming back from the doctore and my boss may complain. At once, she asked me very nervous: "Are you aware of the latest news ?". I said no, expressing I wasn't giving a damn to it. I first wanted her to complain about me being late if she really wanted to, then ok to chat about whatsoever. And I thought she was pulling my leg (as I was well-known to follow much the latest news). She wasn't complaining and she was speaking about New York. I was staying ready for if she complained of my return time. Finally, she watched the sheet and didn't say anything, just: "Go to work". I was disappointed because I missed the 9/11 chat there for silly reasons.

Your blog is really great.

Take care.

David Dust said...

I got this via email from Roald IX, a Dustbunny from Paris:

I'm a frenchman living and working (I'm a cashier) in Paris. On tuesday, september 11th, 2001 I was expecting to go to the doctor and I went there by metro. In the waiting room, I opened the newspaper of the day before I hadn't read yet. And I read a long article about the death of commander Massoud (killed on september 9th by fake journalists. It is considered today it was a signal of the 9/11 attacks).

Then I had my consultation with the doctor, everything fine, I'm fit. And I decided to take my time to go back to work. I stopped at McDonald's on a big Paris square. The attacks already took place a while before but I didn't know yet. I remember I found people in the street behaving differently and moving slowly.

So I went back to my work and I was a little "frightened", I was very late coming back from the doctore and my boss may complain. At once, she asked me very nervous: "Are you aware of the latest news ?". I said no, expressing I wasn't giving a damn to it. I first wanted her to complain about me being late if she really wanted to, then ok to chat about whatsoever. And I thought she was pulling my leg (as I was well-known to follow much the latest news). She wasn't complaining and she was speaking about New York. I was staying ready for if she complained of my return time. Finally, she watched the sheet and didn't say anything, just: "Go to work". I was disappointed because I missed the 9/11 chat there for silly reasons.

Your blog is really great.

Take care.

Unknown said...

Such an AWFUL day!

Mistress Maddie said...

Girl, everytime I see or hear these stories I still get frozen. And the chills.

Beth said...

Thank you for sharing this again, David. My good friend Raquel lives in the Village and remembers looking out her window and seeing people lined up outside St. Vincent's to give blood. She also mentioned what you did...the expected victims never arrived at the hospital, and it hit her what that meant.

I was at work, tucked away in a little corner area where I was doing HPV testing. I always had a radio back there with me, and listened to Bob & Tom in the morning (it's a comedy show). I remember them telling what was happening, and that was all they talked about the rest of the time. I recall Tom saying, "This isn't a joke, folks. This is really happening."

I called my Mom and Dad, and surprisingly, they didn't have the news on. I said to turn it on right away, because planes had hit the World Trade Center in New York, and they thought it was terrorists. She gasped and they turned it on right away.

The lab set up a TV in the break room, and I recall many of us gathered around watching as the buildings fell.

I sent off emails to Raquel, and finally heard from her after a couple of days and she was okay. A mutual friend, John (a writer), wrote later about looking out his apartment window at the WTC and it looked like parts of the building falling off. He realized with horror that it was people leaping from the inferno.

Truly a dark, dark day.

Love and hugs,
Beth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...