Friday, January 9, 2009

900 Pound Butter Sculpture Unveiled in PA


Every January in Central Pennsylvania there is a huge 8-day event - the Pennsylvania State Farm Show. It is the largest indoor agricultural exposition in the United States, featuring everything from livestock auctions, rodeo, quilting competitions, and farm-fresh food for sale. Over 400,000 people are expected to visit the Farm Show Arena in Harrisburg to see the sights and smell the smells over the eight days.

One of the highlights of the Farm Show is the annual unveiling of the Butter Sculpture. This year's sculpture honors the men and women of the Pennsylvania National Guard and their families. Seriously. Read more about it HERE.

While writing this, I tried to think if I had ever gone to the Farm Show as a child - and I don't think I have. I remember going to a damn BOAT SHOW (thanks Dad!) at the same venue, and playoff high school basketball games in the arena - State Champs, bitches! - but never the Farm Show.

I wanna see the butter sculpture!!!!!!!


7 comments:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I wanna east the butter sculpture!

Ian said...

You know David, I absolutely HATE the damn Farm Show with a passion! LOL. Stay away, stay away, stay away from Cameron and McClay Streets...traffic, traffic, and more traffic! Hahaha.

No seriously, the butter sculpture is always interesting. One of the better highlights of the Farm Show, but you should remember as a former Central PA resident, with the PA Farm Show comes inclement weather! Eek.

Now after all this griping about it, you know I'll be Uptown Hbg for my Milkshake, potato donut, and hot dog! LOL. Just watch out for the cow patties....

Renee said...

That sculpture is very cool. I just hope they have enough security to keep Paula Deen away.

Dan said...

mmmmmmmmmm butter

Mark in DE said...

Surely, Paula Deen will be there!

Anonymous said...

Every year, I always get a giggle out of the sand sculpture at the California State Fair. This year, I'm going to feel completely gipped! I want a butter sculpture!

Lelio said...

They always have a butter sculpture at the Ohio State Fair, too. It's behind glass, so you can't get a REALLY good look at it, but it doesn't stop me from standing there and staring, dumbfounded, and wishing for some toast.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...