Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Michael Musto's New Blog


I have been a HUGE fan of writer Michael Musto since the late 1980’s (goodness, I’m getting old!). While attending college at Penn State, my Mom gave me a subscription to The Village Voice because she knew how much I loved New York City. Each week I would DEVOUR Musto’s “La Dolce Musto” column, where he wrote mainly about the various nightclubs and nightlife throughout the city. He was one of the early chroniclers of “The Club Kids” – the wacky semi-celebrities who populated the “downtown” club scene. In fact, I always wanted to BE Michael Musto – I thought writing a nightlife/gossip column would be the absolute best job in the world. In many ways, he is the reason why I moved to New York City in the first place – his column made the city sound like THE place to be.

After I moved to NYC in the early 90’s, I used to see Michael almost every Saturday at the Roxy – the HUGE gay Saturday night party that absolutely EVERYONE went to. I have also spotted him in various other bars, on the street, and even my favorite diner (the Westway Diner on 9th Avenue). And I have always been too chicken-shit to speak to him and thank him for being funny, fabulous, and a great writer. Maybe some day he’ll read this and I won’t have to.

I even answered his call once while working as the receptionist at the Hard Rock Cafe. He was RSVPing for an event, and I STILL didn't have the balls to say anything - I just passed his call through to the Public Relations department. Pitiful!

He still writes his Village Voice column, although he now focuses much more on REAL celebrities and Broadway – not just nightclubs. And I STILL read it every week (in fact, it is the ONLY reason why I would even open a Village Voice anymore). He also does celebrity commentary on Countdown With Keith Olbermann, and the E! network.

So imagine my surprise when I found out today (through Lady Bunny’s Blog) that Michael now has his very own BLOG – “La Daily Musto”. PURE HEAVEN! I get a daily dose of all things FABULOUS – and I don’t have to wait until for the Voice each week!

Check him out here for yourself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is hysterical on Keith Olberman.

merlinhoot said...

I learn the coolest words reading his articles like chanteuse for instance.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...