Thursday, November 10, 2011

My First "Celebrity Sighting"


As a Penn State alum, I can't put into words how heart-breaking this entire Jerry Sandusky scandal is - on so many levels.

Joe Paterno and the Nittany Lions football team are the reason why I went to Penn State. My Dad took me to a football game when I was in high school and I fell in love with the place. One look at the student section and all those drunken kids having a blast was all I needed to see - Penn State was the place for me.

Later, after becoming a student, JoePa was my first "celebrity sighting" when I spotted him walking on campus one day. It was magical seeing the legendary coach in person - and just as big a thrill as spotting any of the many celebs I've come across here in NYC.

Joe Paterno has been the head coach of the Penn State football team since before I was born. And when I became a student, we were taught during freshman orientation to worship the man. And we did. It is difficult for many of us to think of him as anything other than god-like - and almost impossible to think of him as NOT being the coach of the football team.

But I guess even legends make mistakes - and sometimes they make legendary mistakes.

.

4 comments:

theminx said...

"Legendary mistakes" - that's a good way of putting it. My best friend Andree got her doctorate at Penn State and she's heartbroken at the rapid decline of the school's good rep. I forgot that you had gone there as well.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

the dogs' mother said...

I was wondering if that was your school. It is bewildering on so many levels. Both The Engineer and I are termed 'mandatory reporters' by law in our state. That helps to have your responsibilities spelled out very specifically.

Joy said...

I've been waiting for your post about this and wondered how you'd express your feelings. "Legendary mistakes" - perfect! It's heartbreaking and sickening at the same time on so many levels. How legends fall!

Those poor little boys. If anyone did that to Brendan, I could torture and kill them, and I'm barely confrontational. It's the mother/grandmother instinct!

Tivo Mom said...

As you well know, I am a football fanatic. I abhor the fact that this will be the way this man is remembered by so many people. My heart goes out to the victims but my heart also goes out to the students and alum who have lost a hero. So sad...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...