Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Christmas Holiday Has Begun



This morning I'll be jumping on the Amtrak train for the 3 1/2 hour ride back to Central Pennsylvania for a week's vacation.

UPDATE (11:45 AM):  Thank GOODNESS I decided to take the very first train this morning.  When I arrived in Pennsylvania a few minutes ago I heard the reports of Amtrak service being shut down in and out of Penn Station due to power problems.  Luckily, I missed the drama and made it to Amish Country in one piece.  Next up?... LUNCH AT ARBY'S.

This year should be a relatively uncomplicated Christmas - no one in the family can really afford to go crazy with gifts, so we've decided to exchange stocking-stuffers only.  This is a huge relief to me, since for the first time in years I will not be receiving a Christmas bonus.  Add that to the fact that my commission income is down 80% from 2007, and what you get is me with no money to spend for the Holidays.  But I'm not complaining - I'm happy just to still have a job.

One of the highlights of this mini-vacation will be a get-together with my oldest group of friends from high school.  "The Gang" (as we called ourselves) hasn't seen each other in almost 20 years - so it should be interesting.  Most of them are married (with OLD-ass kids!) - but my main gay (Carl AKA "Vera") will be there to provide girlfriend backup.  Actually, I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone - these people were my entire life in high school - and it will be wonderful catching up with them.

OK - so what are YOUR plans for the holidays?


16 comments:

mrs.missalaineus said...

making 2 doz deviled eggs to take to gatherings today/ tomorrow am, then off to the thumb area to visit with mr. m's fam. mostly alternating between being lazy and working on a huge project for a grant which is due when i go back to work.


i hope you and the gang have a lovely reunion-

xxalainaxx

mrs.missalaineus said...

oh yeah and getting MARRIED.

xxalxx

Dan said...

Being the pink sheep of my family, we will be going over to Luis's mom's for x-mas! Nothing major!
Safe travels and here is to a much better decade! Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

If Minneapolis does not get nailed by the winter storm that is supposed to hit, I will be going back to South Dakota to see my family. The weather says it is going to be the worst storm in 30 years. Ugh. I don't want it!

Anonymous said...

I just read about the power outage at Penn Station (JoeMyGod). Did you make it? Get stuck or turned away? Merry Holidays!

the dogs' mother said...

Sounds fun and relaxing - my main requirements. Eldest will be here tomorrow morning and that is my favorit-est present. Be cozy!

Anonymous said...

we are all in some ways cutting back on the spending this Christmas.

Happy Holidays

SteveA said...

It's good to catch up with old friends. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Timmy said...

David...the best gift that you have given us is your sense of humor and witty outlook on things (not to mention White Meat Monday). Thank you for being one of the most entertaining bloggers and keeping me abreast of life in The Big Apple!
xoxoxo

Tivo Mom said...

Have a wonderful vacation! We are heading to NC for a few days after Christmas morning. Should be cooler there than in Florida (hard to believe its Christmas when it is 80 degrees). Catch up when we all return to the grind. Merry Christmas my friend!

Mark in DE said...

OMG, you were smart to take the earliest train!! Glad you're there, safe and sound.

Spouse & I will be spending nights at his mom's house (god help us) starting tonight. But, like you, we have also schedule several rendezvous with friends over the 4 days.

Merry Arby's!!!

Wonder Man said...

we are chilin in L.A.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, miss alaineus!

We're opening family gifts tomorrow night, attending Christmas Eve services and then up to my folks house...pretty standard stuff.

Have a fantastic time with the Gang and post pictures when you get back!

Joy said...

Glad you got there early and have access to Arby's!! We're going to Mother's tomorrow night. Brian, Melissa, Brendan, and I will spend the night and hang around Christmas Day relaxing and enjoying the visit. Then I am going to Kathy's Saturday for a few days. They live about 3 hours from me.

xoxoxoxoxox

Miss Ginger Grant said...

May your fried be curly and organge! Love ya, sweetie!

Robert Kent said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours..I am actually serving christmas dinner at the mission this year..it just puts me in the spirit :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...