Monday, December 21, 2009

Where Does All The Snow Go?...



Miss Alaineous left a comment on one of my SNOWMAGEDDON posts, wondering how they get rid of all the snow in NYC.



Believe it or not - they actually MELT the white stuff and send it into the sewer system.  Since 2000, the NYC Department of Sanitation has used big-ass snow incinerators (above) - which can melt up to 60 tons of snow per hour.

They fill the sucker up with snow...



It melts and gets shot down the sewer...



Pretty cool.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea this was done. Very interesting.

mrs.missalaineus said...

that is amazing and prolly way less costly then trucking it and dumping it somewhere else, which is what happens in other cities.

xxalainaxx

RedCedar said...

Boston used to just dump it in the harbor, but the EPA got on their ass about that (& rightfully so since doing that defeats the whole purpose of having a municipal sewer).

Big Mark 243 said...

That is cool... and it makes so much sense ..!

Mark in DE said...

No kidding! I thought they trucked it out to NJ or something. That's cool.

Mr.Mischief said...

Why not just dump it in the harbor it is just frozen water, after all..but even still, I wanna work the snow incinerating machine!!!

Miss Ginger Grant said...

Well, I'll be damned! I know I have certainly never seen such a thing! I guess that makes sense- if they left it piled up it could be there for months!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...