Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My "Thing" For NYC Doormen



The NY Daily News published a story yesterday called "A Doorman's Guide To Holiday Tipping - And Other Perks Of The Job".  2008 Doorman of the Year Carlos Pellecier (above) recounted some of the tips he's received over the past 30 years manning the door at 1380 Riverside Drive.  His most memorable gratuity?  A used car.  Note to Carlos:  if I lived in that building I would have saved up and bought you a NEW car.  Make no mistake, Papi.

Here is a confession:  I have always had a "thing" for doormen - even though I've never lived in a doorman building.  I'm pretty sure part of the attraction has to do with the fact that many NYC doormen are handsome Latino men.  That, and those uniforms...



I once worked at a small restaurant which was located across the street from the restaurant owner's building.  At the end of the night, we had to drop off the night's receipts and leave them with the owner's doorman.  One of the door guys - a hot Latino dude (natch) - seemed REALLY familiar to me.  On about the 3rd or 4th time I interacted with him, I figured it out - I owned a magazine that featured Señor Doorman wearing nothing but a smile.  HOLA PAPI!!!

But I think what really sealed the deal between me and doorpapis everywhere was a short film I saw last year on Logo ... called "Doorman".  It starred the handsome Jamil Mena (playing a closeted hotel employee - below) - and his performance and beauty were absolutely breathtaking...



So, if you're looking to get me something for Christmas - feel free to buy me a condo in a doorman building.  Or, we could cut to the chase and you could just get me the doorman.

3 comments:

Dwight Supremacy said...

Mr. Mena is yummy! I'll have to check out that flick.

Unknown said...

Now I wanna see the movie.

Mark in DE said...

A doorman fetish... now that's the 1st time I've heard of that! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...