Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Joe.My.God Discusses Shady Oral Roberts


My blog hero/inspiration Joe.My.God announced evangelist and "faith healer" Oral Robert's death yesterday with this headline:


"World's Most Successful Scam Artist Dies"

Here is a snippet:

In addition to claiming that God spoke directly to him every day, this multimillionaire scam artist also performed faked healings for hundreds of thousands of deluded saps who promptly handed over their meager life savings.


Joe wraps it up the post with this gem:

Oral Roberts will be laid to rest in a platinum coffin lined with gold and encrusted with precious gems as his multimillionaire heirs reverently light thousand-dollar bills in his memory. Praise His Name!


Read the entire post HERE. I had always heard of Oral Roberts (who names their kid "Oral", btw?!?) - but I never really knew his shady history. Interesting.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The term 'charleton' was made for men like him. His vengeful God used disease and natural disasters to seek retribution for things of which Roberts did not approve. I would lay good money that if Roberts did hear voices in his head, they weren't any God, just the demons he refused to face.

Amber LeMay said...

My "friend" Bob wrote this note on his family's page last night...

With the death of Oral Roberts today, I was reminded of one of my favorite "stories."

Being 9 and 7 years younger than two brothers, I was part pet, part toy and major irritant. So much so that there were three television programs Mom wouldn't let them watch.

One - The Three Stoogies. I was Curly to their Moe. The eye gouges, pratfalls, and walking into an opening door were common reenactments.

Two - Big Time Wrestling. Whether it Haystacks Calhaun's "Big Splash" or the German Colonel's "Sleeper Hold," I often found myself pinned before I knew what was happening.

Three - Oral Roberts. Every Sunday morning Oral Roberts would be on television, usually at one of his tent revivals, where he would lay hands on the sick and ill, curing them with his mystical God-given powers. This is where my brothers' would show signs of remorse and try to make me feel better from the aforementioned abuse. Except it wasn't actually a laying of hands, but more like a hard slap on the forehead accompanied by the word, "HEAL!"

Beth said...

Yep. Big ol' scammer. I used to be entertained by watching some of these faith healers. I'd watch Benny Hinn and just howl with laughter. I don't find it so funny anymore, because these assholes are bilking gullible people out of millions of dollars. It's sickening. XOXO

Anonymous said...

Who was Oral Roberts?

Mr.Mischief said...

With a first name like that how could I take him seriously, not like I ever did though..c'mon, Oral?...lol

SteveA said...

I remember him on TV and all the books - but humble and humility seemed to be absent in his lifestyle!

Unknown said...

what, you never heard of his brother, anal roberts?????

(btw, howard, the word is 'charlatan').

Mr.Mischief said...

lol..anal roberts..or their cousin Ilene Dover?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...