Sunday, November 9, 2008

At The Movies With David Dust


As I've said before, I very rarely go to the movies - I generally wait for movies to come out on DVD or cable before I watch them. But this weekend I did both - I watched two movies at home and one at an actual movie theater.

I have known my good friend Toni for over ten years. She and I worked together at a tiny Italian restaurant on the Upper East Side, and eventually I became a part of her family (sort of). Toni is helping to raise her young cousin, Kelsey, and over the year's I became Kelsey's "Uncle David". Toni, Kelsey, and I get together a couple of times a year - and yesterday we went to the movies. Kelsey picked Madagascar - Escape 2 Africa - and she made an excellent choice.


Yes - Madagascar 2 is animated, and yes it is perfect for an 8-year-old (Kelsey's age). But it is also HYSTERICAL - with plenty of references that the kiddies didn't get, but us old folks did. I am SO glad Kelsey didn't want to see High School Musical 3. Thank you Jeebus.

On Friday I rented two movies from Blockbuster - Get Smart and Sex and the City. Yes, I am a bad Gay for not seeing SATC when it came out, but like I said - I rarely go to the movies. Even the big gay ones.

Let me begin with Get Smart. I LOVED the old Maxwell Smart television show when I was a kid. The shoe phone, the cone of silence, CHAOS, CONTROL - I may not have understood everything, but I thought it was really neat as a kid.


The updated version? Not so much. In fact, Get Smart was so bad that I didn't bother finishing it.

Sex and the City, on the other hand, I LOVED. I laughed and I cried ... literally. Although I thought the movie was a little long - it was SO nice to check in with the girls. And Samantha's hot Papi next-door-neighbor was a sight to behold.


I should do this "movie thing" more often...




13 comments:

kayce. said...

oh hells yeah... when they showed the actual penis in the shower: nice! i loved satc as well and also didn't see it til it came on ondemand. although i will say that i watched it over and over; it's definitely one to buy. sounds like you had a fab weekend! ^_^

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I loved the music in the original Madagascar- "I Like to Move it, Move it!" I'll prolly catch that one on DVD.

Anonymous said...

We're watching the John Adams mini series (I know, but it's WAY more interesting than I thought it would be), but we took a break last night to watch Hellboy. It was good, but not great. We watched The Fall last weekend and it was SPECTACULAR!

Mistress Maddie said...

That is very nice you did a movis review. I was just getting ready to watch a movie on demand and was thinking of watching Sex and the City. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE PAPI!!!

Joy said...

I'm sorry to hear that about Get Smart. I loved the TV series and though Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway would be great in the roles. Not so much, huh? I'll skip it.

I still haven't seen SATC yet and have seen episodes of the series many times. I'm looking forward to it and will see it asap.

Madagascar sounds good from the clips I've seen.

Thanks! Love you! Love your reviews! xoxoxoxo

Marker said...

Whew - I thought you were going to be one of those SATC haters.

I adored that movie--I saw it in NYC the weekend it came out - a sold-out theater full of women and gay guys. Like you, I laughed, I cried . . . it became a part of me. (What's that from??) Seriously, it was like being reunited with old friends--I know that is SO CHEESY but I love love love that show and that made the movie totally fabulous. Sundays used to be nirvana on HBO, with SATC followed by Six Feet Under. Now - meh. I think what made the show so appealing was that everyone (many people) can relate to all four of the characters, to varying degrees.

True, if you want to dissect and critique it as a film on its own, it's flawed, but WTF. It was meant as a continuation/conclusion of the TV show. The New Yorker's review was particularly evil, complete with a hideously mean and nasty caricature/cartoon illustration of the girls.

I even kind of liked the ridiculous opening song by the grotesque Fergie, and I usually despise her.

Hugs!

the dogs' mother said...

We don't go to movies either, high prices, too many people crowded into a small space, too much to do at home.

I'll make an exception for Harry Potter but will wait until the frenzy is over and no other big movies is opening.

Will put Madagascar 2 on our list to DVD or Pay-Per-View. Loved the first one and this one is supposed to have more penguins. :-))

Marker said...

what chef said!

Samantha's neighbor was beyond. Just beyond. And the meat - OMFG

David Dust said...

Frogponder -

The penguins are ALL OVER this movie. And they are hysterical.

XOXOXO

Jimbo said...

I just saw SATC a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed it very much. I think it would have been fun to see it in the theatre but had a nice time seeing it in the comforts of someone's home.

Anonymous said...

I will admit that I was one that was not crazy about SATC the movie but I am glad that you finally saw it. I guess that I missed the show so much and had such high expectations that nothing could meet those expectations. Parts of it were fabulous and other parts just left me flat. But I will see the sequel and continue to watch the reruns for nostalgic purposes. Sounds like you had a productive weekend. We are going to Madagascar this weekend with the kids and I am looking forward to it. Happy Monday!

Unknown said...

Course you know I do it alla time so it's good to see you reporting in on movies too. do moah!
I am a Netflix freak now and even got an accesory machine to watch the freebees on tv from my DSL.
i will check out Madagascar for sure.
-xoxoxo Charlie

Mark in DE said...

We saw Sex and the City in the theatre when it first came out (loved it) and then watched it again last week (loved it again).

Mark :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...