Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"Hey Hey - Ho Ho ... Homophobia's Got To Go!!"


Fierce, fabulous & fantastic - that was my experience at the Prop 8 protest tonight. There were a few thousand people there - men, women, children, gay, straight, and everything in between. We were loud, we were boisterous and we snarled traffic - which is the true test of any Manhattan civil disobedience. Once you stop traffic, you have truly MADE AN IMPACT in NYC.

Of course, when you get a few thousand fabulous homos together in one place, your going to have your funny signs. I LOVE the one above - and i made the guy stop so I could take the picture.

The sign below is direct and to the point - just like something I would have come up with...


Oh snap...


After chanting in front of the Mormon temple for about a half hour, we began to march toward Columbus Circle. Which was perfect for me, because that was in the direction of my apartment (I live only about 7 blocks away from Columbus Circle). This was blogging, exercising, and demonstrating ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Talk about multi-tasking!!

And this being NYC, of course there were celebs. First of all, Judy Gold - stand up comedian and Emmy-award-winning writer/producer from the Rosie show was marching. She was there with one of her sons, and kept telling the press that "My Ex is gonna KILL me!" for giving press interviews with their child. The kid (who was adorable) kept sticking his tongue out for the cameras. I respected Judy's wishes and didn't take a picture of her son. Bitches, you should have seen me - I was acting like a reporter/photographer from the New York Times. I was taking pictures while walking backwards, and then I'd pull my notebook out and take notes. Lois Lane ain't got NOTHING on me. Please take note, Pulitzer Prize committee...



Judy's sign. Hysterical...


Wait, I think this lady might be a celebrity. What's her name again?... Oh THAT'S RIGHT - Ms. Whoopi Friggin' Goldberg!!!!...


The press was all over her. She was holding a handmade sign that said something like "Marching For My Friends". Fierce.

Blogger Eric Leven served as one of the parade Marshalls. I tried to get a shot of his (extremely handsome) face, but I just got one of his t-shirt. Where's the outrage?


Here is a picture of Eric (below center) standing in middle of a Bear sandwich at the Gay Pride Pier Dance this summer. See, I told you he was hot. Of course, the Papi on the right is more my speed, but Eric ain't so bad. Check out Eric's blog HERE. I know this doesn't have anything to do with the demonstration, but it wouldn't be DavidDust without some beefcake.


As always, the police brought up the rear of the march - keeping everyone moving. Every time I tried to get a picture, they would look away, or someone would get between my camera and the hot officers. They were getting TIRED of me, so this was the best I could do. Can you tell how much he was digging me?!?


Finally, we all ended up in Columbus Circle. I took this picture from the Trump International Hotel - right outside the Jean-Georges restaurant windows. While standing there, two young and adorable gay guys asked me to take a picture. After my old geezer ass figured out how the camera worked (I turned it OFF during my first try), I took an adorable picture of these two adorable boys. I gave them my card and told them to send me a copy so I could put them on my blog. I bet they won't, but it would be GREAT if they did. "Stick with me kids, I'll make you STARS!".



The Associated Press is currently saying that "several hundred" people attended the protest - which is BULLSHIT. I have seen reports saying 4,000 people were there - which sounds about right.

If there is any more news, I'll update. But now it's time for Top Chef...

14 comments:

kayce. said...

that def looks more in the thousands to me, that's for sure... i wish i had a "real" camera (as opposed to the crappy one on my sidekick) b/c i found out that the protest here in ATL on saturday will be at night, but i will attempt to snap pics nonetheless. like you, it is within 10 blocks from my house, so yeah! whoopi is fierce, i hope she talks about it on the view tomorrow. that will make elisabitch's head explode!

PS: i think eric is cute, too; his ears are like handles... ;) too bad i am not a man. oh well.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Inspiring.
My favorite was the t shirt with Where's The Outrage!
I am going to the Houston protest on Saturday, Equality Texas is coordinating protest in Austin, Dallas & Houston...do you think it would be okay to borrow a couple of the sign ideas?
Way to go NYC!

btw...Patrick is a doll (top chef)

Anonymous said...

chef you are too funny. ears like handles:)

Joy said...

Wow! How exciting! It looked like a huge crowd and loved the signs! I'm definitely watching The View tomorrow to see what Whoopi says about it. How cool that she was there!

You were so Lois Lane! xoxoxoxo

Marker said...

Well done, NYC!

We need to take it to the streets. As Eric the Hot says, Rage! Donating and clicking are essential, but clearly not enough.

Unknown said...

So very cool, reminds me of the good old days when I would march and stuff. That, however, was 20 years ago, which makes me sad. But thank you for marching, and giving us a voice. I might check out to see if something is happening here in Delaware on Saturday, although I doubt it will be within blocks of me.

And Eric is totally hot!

the dogs' mother said...

Loved the Britney Spear's sign! LOL!
Glad it all went off safely and hope it gets lots of media coverage.

Anonymous said...

Join the Impact

Protest Prop 8 on November 15th!

Join the Impact

Angel said...

that looks like thousands to me too...why does "aminstream media" always try to play down the importance??

Oh, How I would have loved to be there with you Tranny, and yes, I would have brought MY kids too. What an important lesson to teach them.

David Dust said...

TrannyBeth, Uncle Tranny, and my TrannyNephews ... THAT would have been fabulous.

Love you! Love your hair!!!!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased that the turnout was so big. I too think that something like this is important for the children to witness. I hope and pray that somehow, someway this makes an impact.

Mark in DE said...

Thanks for participating and sharing this with us!

Lois Lane indeed!!!

Mark :-)

Chris said...

David -great job - we all need to give those legislators a swift kick in the butt.

Anonymous said...

I saw that Eric dude being tossed out by the back of his neck of Mr Black three weeks ago...shes a mess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...