Tuesday, November 18, 2008

South Park Mor(m)on Musical Planned


By JARETT WEISELMAN – New York Post

They've blamed Canada and killed Kenny - now, the creators of "South Park" want to bring singing Mormons to Broadway.

The two most politically incorrect writers on TV, who revel in creating off-color antics in South Park, Colo., are crossing the Utah border - where they'll take on Salt Lake City Mormons in a new musical comedy.

Trey Parker and Matt Stone's "Mormon Musical" - written along with Robert Lopez, one of the creators of Broadway's puppet show for grownups, "Avenue Q" - will start rehearsals next month and star Cheyenne Jackson
[Editor’s Note: Cheyenne (pictured above) is a former DADDY OF THE DAY], according to a report that first appeared on nypost.com's Pop Wrap blog.

The new show is "hilarious - very acerbic and biting," said Jackson, whose last Broadway show was "Xanadu."

It deals with the lives and loves of Mormons and "offends everybody, but [also] does what 'South Park' does best, which is by the end, it comes around and has something great to say," Jackson said.



If you have never seen the South Park episode All About The Mormons?, you MUST find it and watch it. It is a hilarious spoof of the actual beliefs of the Mormon church, featuring a Native American Angel, “Seer Stones”, and "Golden Plates". A chorus of “Dum, dum, dum, dum, DUMB!” is sung anytime this "truth is stranger than fiction" is depicted onscreen, and “Smart, smart, smart, smart, SMART!” when someone questions the ridiculousness of it all. Hysterical.

UPDATE: The ever-helpful Kayce provides us this link to the All About The Mormons? episode. Click HERE to watch. She adds: *** note to bunnies around the world: the full ep player comes up in a new, smaller window, so disable the pop-ups, then enjoy! *** hugs & kisses! kayce. Thank you dear!


My mother reminded me the other day that when I was a kid, I couldn’t ever get the Mormon’s name right – I always referred to them as “Morons”.

Dum, dum, dum, dum, DUMB!!!!!

8 comments:

Kanani said...

I have these cousins in Hawaii who are Mormon. They didn't have enough money for cable and the TV reception didn't get to where they were on the island (this was in the 80's). I remember they had this musical they'd watch OVER and OVER again: Sound of Music. Yes, they knew every line, and it was the most depressing thing ever!

kayce. said...

LMAO, i am watching the ep now and cracking up to the "dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb" myself. you know, the story seemed implausible enough to me even when i didn't know that joseph smith never showed anyone the golden tablets... hilarious. thanks for sharing, DD, b/c w/ out this post i would not have seen this ep! =D

Kanani said...

And let me tell you about the paradise lost. I was on vacation and all I wanted to do was sit around with a fruity drink that had one of those little umbrellas with a few monkeys hanging off it. But my cousins kidnapped me and I ended up spending multiple family home evenings not only with them, but other Mormon families.

*bangs head on desk*

Oh, it was nice enough, but it wasn't a Mai Tai. Thanks for the link. I watched the episode. Hilarious!

the dogs' mother said...

I think most people, and groups, in the public eye must live in fear about coming under the scrutiny of the South Park fellows!

Joy said...

You were wise beyond your years as a child and still are!

Mistress Maddie said...

Thata learn them!

Unknown said...

Cheyenne Jackson is outrageously hot, and can sing! I saw him in Damn Yankees and just had to stare at him while he was onstage.

The ep of South Park was hysterical, so thanks for the link!

richard dandelion said...

As a Mormon myself (and a No on 9 before I was even No-on-8, liberal, live-and-let-live academic in the humanities whose cognitive dissonance is through the fuckin' roof), I have to endorse the South Park episode (and can't wait to see the musical).

I think the SP episode must be even funnier for disaffected Mo's like me who know how really perfectly they pegged not only the doctrinal weirdness but the cultural "goodiness", too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...