Friday, December 4, 2009

Council Speaker Quinn Weeps at Press Conference



Watch this video all the way to the end. NYC City Council Speaker Christine Quinn - an openly gay woman - discusses the marriage equality loss at a press conference yesterday. She breaks down when she talks about her and her partner's elderly fathers not getting to see them "dance at our wedding".

As I've mentioned before, as a resident of the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan - I am EXTREMELY well-represented when it comes to elected officials. Tom Duane, who led the marriage equality effort in the Senate, is my state Senator. Jerrold Nadler, one of the most gay-friendly members of Congress, is my representative in Washington. And Christine Quinn happens to represent my neighborhood in the New York City Council.

And I guess that's why it's so frustrating for me when we lose these fights - I live in a place where being gay is almost the norm. Hell, it's practically MANDATORY in Hell's Kitchen. So when 38 douchenozzles in Albany think I don't deserve the rights they have, it's always a bit of a shock to me - as it obviously was to Speaker Quinn.

2 comments:

Marker said...

Well, if she hadn't chosen to be a hom-sex-shul (said with Jesse Helms's inimitable, ghoulish, despicable tone), she wouldn't have that problem, now, would she?

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you've seen/heard about this yet (can't remember if you posted about it) but along the same lines I think this kid rocks!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/12/10-year-old-wont-pledge-a_n_355709.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...