Saturday, December 27, 2008

John "Johnny Cakes" Costelloe Dead in Suicide


John Costelloe - the actor who played gay short-order cook "Johnny Cakes" on The Sopranos was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his Brooklyn apartment on December 18. Read more HERE.

The Sopranos was one of my all-time favorite television shows, and one of the biggest shockers happened when Vito turned out to be gay. While on the lamb, Vito found volunteer fireman and short-order cook "Johnny Cakes", and the two had a short-lived romance.


Costelloe, 47, was a real-life former New York City firefighter - and was appearing in an off-Broadway comedy (Gang of Seven) at the time of his death.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I loved this show too. And after each was over, I wondered and wondered about them. I recognize that drive from Manhattan to N. Jersey- took the bus to Lyndhurst many many times. We probably all have friends we wonder about in New jersey but we had no doubts about one member of the family who was a trucker who never seemed to have to work but had loads of money.
I remember these particular episodes very well and how scared I was for both of them at the time.
I hate these mysteries, don't you? But impossible not to look, like a car accident.
xoxoxo charlie

Wonder Man said...

sad stuff

Mark in DE said...

I thought the Vito/Johnny Cakes storyline was a great addition to the Sopranos. Sorry to hear Costelloe committed suicide. So sad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...