Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Roughing It" On 9th Avenue


As I get closer to my actual moving day, the living conditions at my old apartment are becoming more and more challenging.  Most of my kitchen stuff is packed, so it’s difficult to cook.  The cable and internet has been switched off so entertainment options are limited.  And I’ve been using the same damn bath towel since I washed and packed all my other ones.

These challenges, for the most part, have been manageable.  However, last night I had a MAN DOWN CODE BLUE RED ALERT REPORT TO YOUR BATTLESTATIONS situation – my air conditioner died.


People who know me realize how traumatic the lack of air conditioning is for me.  Air conditioning is my life.  After a Pennsylvania childhood filled with sweaty summer nights and noisy fans, I long ago channeled my inner Scarlett O’Hara and made the following vow:
“As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be sweaty again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I’LL NEVER BE SWEATY AGAIN! 

So, tonight after work, I will put on my finest hat and my stiffest petticoat and sashay into the hardware store to purchase an air conditioner.  Even if I have to marry Frank Hamilton, pick cotton, shoot a Yankee soldier and make a dress out of my mother’s curtains in order to get the money.

Fiddle dee dee, Biatches...


10 comments:

theminx said...

Oy. I can't even imagine such tragedy!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Angel said...

HAHAHA!!!!! ahhh Tranny...I know you're place has to be hot as hell....get your air conditioner and use it in good health! I, myself, can't sleep without the whirrr of a fan in my window....even in the winter.

XOXOXOXOXO

Lee said...

I feel your pain. My number one requirement for housing is that I have to be able to plunge that sucker to near Arctic levels of cold before I'll even consider moving in. Hotels too.

After that, it's a strong flow of water from the shower head. Can't stand low flow.

Forget location, location, location. It's all about the cold, cold, cold. And water. ;)

kayce. said...

no joke: my a/c died last night, too!!! it was out b/c of some massive storms in the area, and was actually not working for most of the morning, too. i feel and empathize w/ your pain!

the dogs' mother said...

ak! Ours has been running, on and off, since April.

Anonymous said...

NOOOOooooo! Anything but the air conditioner! Some things just should not be allowed to break.

Miss Ginger Grant said...

Honey, in Texas we would check into a hotel before we'd try to sleep without a/c! Best thing about a 2-story house: If the air goes out upstairs (it did a few weeks ago!) I just sleep on the sofa downstairs!

Joy said...

Oh, the horror! I would die! Really! Just die! Love how you brought Scarlett into this! Perfectly wonderful post that expresses survival as we know it. I go even farther and have to have central a/c. I need it evenly distributed all over the house. I live in the steamy South.

Ken Riches said...

Stay cool, at least the new place cheaper rent will pay it off soon.

Mistress Maddie said...

Girl, I am betting you have a clothes line to hang those drenched clothes! Good thing a bought you that fan from Pearl River Mart last summer!!!! Just remember a lady always pats dry first and then keep a Mac compact handy for a quick powder!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...