Saturday, November 27, 2010

"That's So Gay"


From the LGBT Laughs tumblr ...
“That’s SO gay!”
The use of this phrase is absolutely one of my biggest pet peeves. Whenever I hear anyone say it, I always make it a point to let them know that gay is not a synonym for stupid. My daughter has heard me do this and she had never really asked about it before, but we have previously talked about how any two people who love each other can marry each other. 
Today I was picking up my daughter from school (she’s 5 years old.) We were walking to my car and passed a group of boys waiting for their parents (probably between 9 and 10 years old). They were talking pretty loudly and one of them says, “Dude, that’s so gay!”
I immediately got angry. I was about to say something when the most amazing thing happened. My daughter stops walking, turns around, faces them and says:
“You don’t say that word, my Mommy said that’s not nice to say!”
I was speechless. I started tearing up. The boys were shocked and apologized. 
There are moments of pride in a parent’s life when their child takes their first step, says their first word, or begins their first day of school. 
This moment was one of the most, if not the most proud I have been of my child. 

The kids are all right ...

.

3 comments:

mrs.missalaineus said...

*snaps*


xxalainaxx

BosGuy said...

Wanda Sykes (pardon if her name is misspelled) did a PSA a few years ago on that very phrase. I'm sure if you type in "that's so gay" and "Wanda Sykes" it will show. You should definitely check it out if you've not seen it before.

the dogs' mother said...

No pithy comment, other than how adorable is that little girl...? And just checking in on you and yours. GB's lap top has no cord right now (puppies) and he's using mine. I feel cut off!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...