Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bag Of Groceries Costs $60 In Manhattan


On of the (many) reasons I like living in Queens is the fact that a I'm only four subway stops from Manhattan - and yet everything here is so much cheaper.

Take, for instance, groceries. Every year the New York Post buys a dozen common grocery items at D'Agostinos, Food Emporium and Gristedes (the 3 major grocery store chains in Manhattan) to see how much they cost. This year's total came to a whopping $59.85 - up $9.11 from last year. Ouch. I would hate to see what those same 12 items cost at Whole Paycheck Foods!


If I had to venture a guess, those same items would probably be 25-30% cheaper at the Associated supermarket (below) around the corner from my apartment, or at the quirky Trade Fair a few blocks away.


I should have gotten out of Manhattan a long time ago...


.

8 comments:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I bet they'd really be cheap here! Do they publish the list?

I'll bet even my Whole Paycheck is cheaper than your Whole Paycheck!

the dogs' mother said...

A bag?! What is this bag? With BG taking classes at local branches grocery bags come in hordes. I won't even tell you the cost as I might faint.

David Dust said...

Miss G -

Click on the New York Post link in the second paragraph and it will take you to the story (with the list of items).

XOXOXO

Mistress Maddie said...

Girl you need to move here. The other day I went to the Bottom Dollar and got almost four bags of groceries for like $60! I was shocked! But I use like four different stores depending what I'm looking for. Unforantely whole foods has the best produce here. I go to the farmers market first, but if their not open then its whole paycheck!

the dogs' mother said...

We don't have Whole Foods (we aren't considered sophisticated enough I guess...) but today is haul home the food day so Daughter and I are going to compare prices and give you a report on the blog.

Unknown said...

Preach It! I just finishing looking at my Feb Budget, trying too see where all my money was wasted. I'm fortunate I live in the burbs, where I can get groceries at reasonable cost.

designing wally said...

Shushhh!
David,
Those people in Manhattan want our cheese....

"Our Cheese"

We just don't talk about it.

xoxox

Beth said...

Wow, that's just crazy. One good thing about the Midwest is that groceries are pretty reasonable. Can't get fresh fish and stuff like that, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...