Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Saint Opened 30 Years Ago


The legendary Saint nightclub (above) opened at midnight on September 20, 1980 in NYC's East Village and featured a state-of-the-art sound system as well as a planetarium dome/lightshow.  Watch DJ Robbie Leslie (who DJ'd the first Saint-at-Large White Party I ever went to), and DJ Michael Fierman (who spun at my first Black Party) still speak in awe about opening night. Listening to their descriptions actually gave me goosebumps...


The younger generation of Gays probably doesn't understand my generation's worship of the clubs/bars of our youth. But back then us City Gays largely defined ourselves (and others) by where one spent one's Saturday nights (I was a Splash/Roxy/Sound Factory queen in the early 90's).


Nowadays, people spend Saturday nights at home cruising the internet - and there aren't even any gay megaclubs in NYC anymore. Sigh ...

Hat tip to Joe.My.God.



2 comments:

AGB said...

wonderful! I relived my Saints days through them.

True Fashion said...

David -

The Magic, The Pleasure-dome - THE SAINT!

Do you have any memorabilia still? I collect.

Joe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...