Monday, January 31, 2011

A Great Weekend With Friends


What a lovely weekend spent eating and drinking (my two favorite hobbies) with good friends. 

On Friday night, Kailyn arrived from the West Coast and checked into the DustBunny-Astoria Hotel. We went to a local hole-in-the-wall neighborhood restaurant for some authentic Mexican grub – and our bill came to a whopping $41 bucks for the both of us. I will definitely be back. 


On Saturday we picked up my old friend (and I do mean OLD) Maddie at Penn Station and headed over to The Spanish Institute on fancy Park Avenue. The Institute was putting on an exhibition of the designs of the great couturier Cristóbal Balenciaga, featuring some of Balenciaga’s most fabulous creations – including one of Maddie's favorites: 


After our moment of cultcha, we cabbed it over to Harlem in order to dine at Dinosaur BBQ. Since it was late afternoon (after lunch and before dinner), and because the restaurant is kind of out-of-the-way (125th St. & 12th Ave.) – I figured it wouldn’t be too crowded. 


I couldn’t have been more wrong. It was packed, and we had to wait a little while at the bar before being seated. Also spotted waiting for a table: New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn! 

The food was delish – but unfortunately my pictures didn’t turn out too well so I snagged this one (and the pic above) off the internet. This is the “Tres Hombres” – BBQ brisket, ribs and pork – and it was phenomenal: 


We went back to Astoria and rested a bit before hitting the booze. The plan was to drink it up at my apartment (on-the-cheap) before heading out to The Urges. We laughed, we cried, we danced – and at about 2:30 am we realized we weren’t going anywhere so I made a drunken pizza run before we passed out. 

Yesterday we had Hangover Brunch at my restaurant and Maddie headed back to PA. Kailyn transferred from Casa de DustBunny to a hotel in Manhattan, so she can be closer to all the restaurants she plans on visiting over the next 2 days. Yesterday she went to Harold Dieterle’s place, Perilla (read about it HERE). 

All-in-all, the weekend was absolutely great – even though it didn’t involve any gogoboys. Maybe next time. What did YOU do this weekend??


.

5 comments:

Peter Maria said...

Is it just me, or does that dress look like a giant shitake mushroom?

Wonder Man said...

I'm jealous

Kailyn said...

I don't recall Dusty wearing that lovely chapeau. Looks like something Maddie would have created.

Thank you for the lovely accommodations at the DustBunny-Astoria Hotel. It was fab! And next time I'll make sure to buy white rum.

Mistress Maddie said...

Girl, as lit as we were, your cats are lucky we didn't make them wear any garb for the sake of being cute. That would have been next I'm sure!

Joy said...

Sounds great!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...