Saturday, January 15, 2011

Happy Caturday from Oscar

Oscar in the bathtub - with Dusty in the bottom left corner


Although my beloved cat Oscar is about 14-15 years old, he's still a kitten at heart - and hasn't changed much over the years.

When Oscar was a baby, he was fascinated by running water. He played with it like it was a string, and would get soaking wet having fun in the sink. But over the years he seemed to move on - forgetting about his little obsession with running water.

However, when we moved to Astoria, the faucet in the bathtub leaked - producing a constant thin stream of water. Almost immediately, Oscar remembered how much fun running water could be...


Oscar also decided that - even though I give the cats fresh, cold water twice per day - DRINKING out of the shower is way tastier and way more fun...


But Oscar's entire soggy world came tumbling down around him about a week ago. The landlord sent a plumber to our apartment to fix a couple of things - including the leaky shower. This did NOT make Oscar a happy boy. In fact, he wouldn't even look at me, he was so mad ...


So now, even though there is fresh water in his dish, Oscar will sit in the doorway of the bathroom and cry until I turn on the water in the shower for him - then he drinks and plays and has a fabulous time.

At this point I just leave the damn thing running 24/7 so I don't have to hear his pitiful meows of pain and sorrow. Seriously, it's a Meryl Streep-worthy performance that I've seen (and heard) WAY too many times already.

Happy Caturday!

.

9 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

I try to use Mr. Squirt Bottle to keep Abby out of the dishwasher when I am loading it. (We even labeled it Holy Water to give her pause being a Demon Pixie and all) but Abby loves the squirt bottle and angles to get squirted.

Peter Maria said...

That is SO like a cat! And you are a good cat daddy for letting Oscar have his fun!

A friend of mine has a cat that will only drink from an indoor fountain. I have a cat that will only drink once she has dropped a piece of her food in the water (she licks the piece of food).

Mistress Maddie said...

If that ain't a diva pose in that last piocture I don't know what is!!!

kayce. said...

LMAO ~ my two kitties both love running water, and are positively thrilled with the below-freezing temps b/c it makes running the faucets 24/7 necessary. ms. ginger loves the bathroom sink, and babycat prefers the shower or kitchen sink (when i let him). they both end up leaving wet paw prints every-damned-where, but it's so adorable that i put up w/ it.

Miss Ginger Grant said...

When I take a shower Jackson sticks his tongue under the glass door and licks the water as it runs down the door.And when I'm done, I leave the door open and he goes in and licks the water up off the floor! I can't use those instant shower cleaners for fear of poisoning him!

@Kayce: You have a cat named Ms. Ginger?!!! I knew there was a reason I love you so!!!

Beth said...

LOL In that first picture, Dusty photobombed Oscar!

Sheeba also loves running water, and sometimes I turn on the bathroom or kitchen faucets for him. XOXO

Ken Riches said...

Spoiled, Loved, Kitteh :o)

MT said...

hey yall, i have 2 cats that i blog about on my site, MusiconduiT.blogspot.com.

This is a seriously cute post. Love the Dusty in the corner shot in the first pic.

I think my cat stays away from water. Plus, since she eats so much wet food I sometimes think that she stays away from the water bowl.

Sad but true, I think my other cat (who passed Dec 19, 2009) was DEHYDRATED. LOVE UR KITTIES AND MAKE SURE THEY GET PLENTY OF WATER...


I read after mine died that cat's do not have a thirst mechanism. They either drink for fun or out of habit. The best way to ensure adequate hydration is to feed them wet food. Remember that, wet food y'all.

MJ said...

I think this is my favorite story you have shared. Unconditional love is just the best.
xoxoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...