Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Soda Tax Coming to NYC?


According to Gothamist, the proposal to tax sugared sodas in New York is gaining steam.  Politicians see the penny-per-ounce tax as a way to fill the budget gap, combat obesity, and lower healthcare costs (proceeds would at least partially help fund healthcare).  This is a similar proposal to the lucrative tax on cigarettes, which now cost $10-11 a pack in NYC due to all the additional taxes.  Thank goodness I don't smoke.

I also don't drink sugared sodas (other than an occasional Welch's Grape) - and sugar-free/diet sodas will not be taxed.

What do you think about these "vice" taxes?  Do you think they work? Do you have them where you live?

4 comments:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I think Joan Crawford will come back from the dead to haunt city council: "Don't FUCK with me, fellas- this ain't my first time at the rodeo!"

Bob said...

We're not permitted to have vices in South Carolina, unless you count getting underaged girls pregnant, cuz, well, that's okay.

Sam said...

That's some real bullshit.

Jimmy said...

I drink little soda too, so should Indiana ever decide to initiate such a tax, the impact on me personally would be nominal. I think a tax on packaged snack cakes, chips, and candy would be fine too, along with raising the taxes on cigarettes and alcohol. Taxes are only part of the equation; there must be a way to encourage and incentivize good habits.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...