Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Times Square - Circa 1986


Yesterday Gothamist did a "flashback" post with some great photos of a gritty Times Square - circa 1986. This was the Times Square I fell in love with during a day trip to NYC as a child - and a Times Square that is VERY different now...


However, one of the "artistic venues" pictured in the Gothamist's photo essay is actually still in operation to this very day - or so I've heard ...


Also, Gothamist did a non-scientific poll asking people if they prefered the Giulianified/Disneyfied Times Square of today, or the dangerous and seedy Times Square that Sick Tickets like me fell in love with. Results:





Total Votes: 837


Yep, 65% of those voting were Sick Tickets NOSTALGIC for the old Times Square, just like Moi. That makes me feel a little better.


.

3 comments:

behrmark said...

I've been in NY twice. And I can tell you that I visited one of those naughty establishments off Time Square. You know...performers in one room, a film in another, and the smell of sex heavy in the air.
Loved it.

Unknown said...

well, i have a story about that time... back then i was about 17 (which of course, makes me 25 today...). anywhoo, i was just coming out then, so i went to the naughty shops with the coin-operated booths. once, someone offered me money to give me a bj, and i ran out of there, i was just too scared (now i wish i had taken the money). later, i got a bj from a nice guy there. then a 3rd time, i got fucked by a cute asian guy in one of those booths. ahhh, how i miss those days... i hate the new times square. you can't have sex at the gap.

Unknown said...

how i miss those days... :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...