Sunday, March 14, 2010

Keith Olbermann's Father Has Died


If you watch Countdown with Keith Olbermann like I do, you know that Keith hasn't been around much due to his sick father.  Well, his beloved dad, Theodore Olbermann (above), passed away yesterday - and this is what Keith wrote on his BLOG...

Though the financial constraints of his youth made college infeasible, he accomplished the near-impossible, becoming an architect licensed in 40 states. Much of his work was commercial, for a series of shoe store chains and department stores. There was a time in the 1970's when nearly all of the Baskin-Robbins outlets in the country had been built to his design, and under his direction. Through much of my youth and my early adult life, it was almost impossible to be anywhere in this country and not be a short drive to one of "his" stores.
My Dad was predeceased last year by my mother, Marie, his wife of nearly 60 years. He died peacefully after a long fight against the complications that ensued after successful colon surgery last September at the New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center. My sister Jenna and I were at his side, and I was reading him his favorite James Thurber short stories, as he left us.

So sad.

I also found out yesterday that DustBunny Nutwood Beth's father has fallen gravely ill, and she has traveled to Florida to be with her family.  Please send her some good wishes.


2 comments:

Joy said...

I've been keeping up with Keith O's father from the show but am glad you posted what he wrote. I would have missed that. It's not that unusual for spouses who have been married that long to die within a year of each other.

I'm sorry Nutwood Beth is going through this, too, and know how it is.

Beth said...

David, thank you so much for this, my dear. I haven't been watching the news lately, as you can imagine, so this is the first of heard of Keith's dad. I've been following his saga, too, and how odd that his Dad passed away on the same day as mine.

Thank you (and thanks to everyone) who sent warm wishes. It has meant so much to me in this tough and sad time. XOXO Much love, Beth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...