Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Goodbye Old Friend


This old, beat up hairdryer (above) was once my friend. "Chic" (pronounced - by me anyway - "Chick", not "Sheek") was given to me by Mama Bunny before I left for Penn State in 1985. Chic was once a beautiful and fashionable deep burgundy (like the hairdryer below) and was quite the powerhouse.


When I graduated from college and moved back home to Carlisle, PA - Chic made the move with me. And when I relocated to NYC I brought her along. All the while Chic performed faithfully and admirably every day. 

Over the years I've found myself with less and less hair, but Chic always gave me a quick dry after my shower. Unfortunately, as she got older, Chic became less and less dependable - on many days she would just stop before I was finished. So Mama Bunny got me a new hairdryer - our little mother-son tradition.  And people wonder why I'm gay.

Anywhore, I just couldn't let Chic go - so I put her in the bathroom cabinet and let her rest. Eventually my replacement dryer died, so I dusted off Chic and she worked again like a charm ... for about 3 weeks.

Yesterday morning as I gave my wet head a quick once-over with my beloved Chic, I thought I smelled fire. Sure enough, Miss Thang was sparking and smoking like a Rastafarian - and before I could react my beloved Chic died. Sadly - this time it was permanent. BTW - the discoloration on Chic is NOT a result of this incident - it's due to being used almost every day for 25 years.

So last night, after taking her picture and saying a little gay prayer ("First I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side...I will survive. I will survive. Hey hey ..."), I put my friend of 25 years in the recycle bin.

May the Sweet Baby Jeebus watch over her fried little burgundy soul...


12 comments:

behrmark said...

Awwww....behr hugs for your loss. BTW, posts like this is what got me reading you in the first place.

Angel said...

oh Tranny....I'm so sorry for your loss. Once you find someone like Chic, its hard to replace them. I will think about you all day today and say a prayer to Baby Jesus for you (tho I doubt I have any pull anymore, sinner that I am)...

I LOVELOVELOVE you Tranny!!!!

mrs.missalaineus said...

i shall go light a candle for chic's memory when i go back to work.

seriously, i went to beauty school. a good blow dryer is like a best friend and hard to replace.


xxalainaxx

Wonder Man said...

rest in peace, Chic

Kyle Leach said...

Well David, at least Chic went doing something she loved! So sorry for the loss of such a reliable, old friend.

Joy said...

So sad for you loss and send my condolences. Can't believe you found the perfect picture to go with this post. That tombstone says it all.

Love you! Love your damp hair!

XOXOXOXOXOX

MJ said...

Awww, luv the eulogy. I had an old Conair that lasted forever. Then one day I realized the tiny white specks spitting out it's backside were most likely asbestos. So we needed to part ways. Maybe you could call the next one Chico and then you could be Chico and The Man!

Sam said...

Oh my. I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently parted with something that blew well also. Maybe a newer model well work much better, besides a sputter and spit followed by nothing can never be a good thing. God I hate it when that happens.

Ken Riches said...

May she RIP, and may the replacement have such a long and lucky life :o)

Mistress Maddie said...

Ok I'm coming up! I need to get you out of that place and out of black!!!! You sure can beat a dead horse, that poor thing!

Gino said...

Sorry for your loss... Don't worry, I am sure Cjic is in that special place where most of my hair went...Chic will blow and blow and blow

Miss Ginger Grant said...

You are one sick and twisted sister!! And I love you so, so much!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...