Monday, August 2, 2010

Coney Island


Yesterday my BFF and I took a little trip (via subway) to Coney Island, Brooklyn.  Our first stop was Nathan's Famous Hot Dog stand (natch).  However, I was DEVASTATED to learn that they no longer have the Chow Mein Sandwich...


The Chow Mein Sandwich (above) probably went on the Nathan's menu during the Americanized "Chinese Food" craze of the 30's and 40's when dishes like Chop Suey and Chow Mein (which are totally not Chinese at all) first became popular.

I always ordered the Chow Mein Sandwich because the Coney Island Nathan's was the only place in NYC you could get one (it didn't taste that great - but it was unique).  The person behind the counter said they took it off the menu a few months ago (after probably 70 years!).  I was so upset that I wouldn't even eat a Nathan's hot dog - I had a burger instead.


Dessert was my old stand-by - a banana soft-serve cone at Denny's on Surf Avenue.  LOVES the pink cash register...


The overcast skies kept the huge crowds away from the boardwalk. That's the landmarked but defunct Parachute Jump in the background - AKA "The Eiffel Tower of Brooklyn".


Sideshows by the Seashore - and old-school Freak Show...


The Beach was also not crowded, and unfortunately the weather kept the Papis pretty well covered. Damn...


I took this picture from the Steeplechase Pier.  The tall buildings in the background are the Coney Island Housing Projects - some of the roughest Projects in the city.  But with FANTASTIC views...


The overcast skies didn't bother me one bit - it kept the temperature down, and we weren't planning on hanging on the beach anyway.  All in all, the BFF and I had a nice day.

7 comments:

Wonder Man said...

Sounds like fun. You know, in all of my time in NY and NJ, I've never been to Coney Island

the dogs' mother said...

That was a nice little travelogue right there!

Unknown said...

Chow Mein, DD? It doesn't look appealing.

behrmark said...

Great pictures! I've never been to Coney Island either. Of course, I admit I've been to NY only once in my life. I think a vacation is needed. Will you be my tour guide?
Behr Hugs!

David Dust said...

Behrmark - I am a GREAT tour guide. I'm thinking about planning another Dust Bunny weekend - would you come??

XOXOXOXOXO

Ken Riches said...

Burger vs. Dog, sounds like a tough choice at Nathans.

Joy said...

I like these tours you give us. It's almost like being there.

XOXOXOXXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...