Wednesday, December 1, 2010

World AIDS Day


Today is World AIDS Day.

The CDC estimates that more than one million people are living with HIV in the United States. One in five (21%) of those people is unaware of their infection. I was one of those unaware 21% - until this summer when I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia in both lungs.

The reason I was unaware was because I didn't get tested. And the reason I didn't get tested was because I was afraid. But my avoidance of HIV tests made things much worse. My fear literally could have killed me.

HIV/AIDS is a worldwide epidemic with an estimated 33 million people infected - but it is also a personal epidemic. MY epidemic. So please - from one person to another I beg of you - PLEASE GET TESTED. Knowledge is power - and the more you know, the healthier you can be.

To find a testing location near you - please go HERE. Get tested. Don't be afraid.


BTW - If I'm ever feeling sorry for myself, sad or generally unloved, I just go back and read all the supportive and wonderful comments I received on THIS post. And, without fail, it immediately makes me feel like the most loved blogger/friend/person in the world.

XOXOXO


UPDATE: On my way to work this morning, I got accosted by a gang of hairdressers (seriously) who were asking people to record short videos marking World AIDS Day. It is pouring down rain here and I looked like I puffy wet marshmallow, but against my better judgement I let them film me. Swear to Jeebus, if they use the footage I will barricade myself in an Arby's and never come out.

.

7 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Amen, good advice, good words, good hugs!

Dan said...

I got my test last week!

XXOO

Robert Kent said...

In my other life David I am a nurse and belong to the Canadian Association of Nurses in Aids Care, plus just happen to work in the hospital that is designated the center of excellence in HIV/AIDS care. We are about to do a major announcement today about testing and the funding we have for this new program making the process more accessible and having specially trained staff to deal with pre and post test counselling.

Just wanted to share a big hug with ya today :-)

Robbie K

Peter Maria said...

I was thinking about you earlier when I started my day because you are currently the only person I "know" (you blog, I comment: we "know" each other, right?) living with HIV (unless everyone else is keeping it secret). I am SO glad that you found out in time to save your life! You made excellent points about testing and the fear involved. And good for you for being such a good sport about filming with the hairburners! I bet you were fabulous, but if you need an Arby's barricade buddy, let me know.

Unknown said...

Major love & hugs to you today, too!

the dogs' mother said...

A video? hmmmmmm. Maybe it will go viral and we can say 'we knows him!'

Wonder Man said...

Great words, my friend. Great words

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...