Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Return of Pee Wee Herman



The character who made Paul Reubens a star - Pee Wee Herman - returns to the stage tonight at Club Nokia in Los Angeles.

Actor and comedian Paul Reubens got his start in the 70's with the Los Angeles-based improvisation troupe The Groundlings.  "Pee Wee Herman" was a Groundlings character that Reubens developed into a successful stage production.  The stage show begat an HBO special, which begat the CBS Saturday morning children's show Pee Wee's Playhouse in the late 80's.



In college, my friends and I usually watched Pee Wee as we nursed our Saturday morning hangovers.  And hungover or not, we ALWAYS yelled and screamed whenever someone uttered "the secret word".  Good times.

This latest stage production of The Pee Wee Herman Show includes some of the original actors - including Miss Yvonne! (played by Lynne Marie Stewart - below).




Thanks to MJ for the heads-up.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Pee Pee Herman. Never missed the show on Saturday mornings. Memorized the movie. I hope he takes the current production on tour!

Wonder Man said...

I think we are seeing this soon

Mr.Mischief said...

I LOVED Pee Wee's Playhouse..I watched it every time it was one, and would to this day if it was still on the air..ahh, memories...

Mistress Maddie said...

Good Gawd, that show and that voice were enough to give me a hangover!

Unknown said...

Tito the lifeguard who was always parading around shirtless in the first season had the sexiest body, I used to watch the show just for the few seconds he was on.

Sam said...

I know you are, so what am I?

Beth said...

I love Pee Wee, and the Big Adventure movie still cracks me up! XOXO

Mark in DE said...

Don't forget his two hilarious films "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" and "Big Top Pee Wee"!! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...