Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Now What?!?


Well, you got to hand it to Hillary Clinton – she did exactly what she needed to do last night: win Ohio (big) and Texas (barely – but good enough). She also won Rhode Island for good measure. Barack Obama was only able to win Vermont – and only won 5 counties in Ohio, an important swing state that Democrats must carry if they hope to win in November (see Ohio-related blog post here from MyDD).

Just when I thought I was settled in my support of Obama, Hillary goes and pulls one out of her butt. I must admit, I was kind of psyched for her – but now I'm totally confused as how this will play out.

Hillary will win Pennsylvania. Governor Ed “Fast Eddie” Rendell is behind her (as was Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland) – and trust me, Fast Eddie can BRING IT. He is the former Mayor of Philadelphia, and the former Chairman of the Democratic National Committee – and can mobilize the vote in my former home state of PA. Pennsylvania is very similar to Ohio in its electorate – 2 big Democratic Cities (Philly and Pittsburgh), and a bunch of middle class union workers who are worried about their future. Hillary will win Pennsylvania like she won Ohio. But it will take a lot of money, and a lot of fighting - and will all the money spent and all the negative campaigning HURT the eventual nominee?

There is also the matter of Michigan and Florida – two EXTREMELY important states that were penalized for holding their contests too soon. Do they go back and vote again? God, this is complicated!

This is SO not over…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning to see a fellow Highbrid Nation writer reporting that Hillary has won the Ohio and Texas primaries and how this is getting bad. And like him I feel like this battle between Obama and Hillary has went on too long and now they are in danger of hurting the party by allowing McCain to take shots at them while they are dealing with each other. Howard Dean should step in and say “Look, Obama is going to be the canidate and Hillary you can be his running mate if you choose”…I know I know that would never happen but a guy can dream right?

David Dust said...

You're right - that ain't happening. I don't know HOW they manage to do this without pissing a bunch of people off.

Angel said...

Ohio has lost me as a member of it's community. WTH?!! Clinton WON Ohio??!!! Where are all the Obama supporters when we need them? This hurts my heart! ;)

Obama/Clinton...NOT Clinton/Obama

Unknown said...

Hasn't Howard Dean already done enough by discounting the votes of over 5 million Democrats [in Florida & Michigan]? Seems to me, for a party that in theory is here to give voice to the people that particular call was a very bad one. And since this is about giving voice to the people, what's the harm in letting the primary play out and allow all to vote before a decision is made? After all, if we plan to call it a day and pick a candidate now, we certainly can no longer complain about the 2000 vote anymore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...