Friday, June 20, 2008

I Am A Settler...


I saw this the other day over at Joe.My.God. Joe noticed the following E.B. White quote on the subway - part of the MTA's "Poetry In Motion" program.

There are roughly three New Yorks. There is, first, the New York of the man or woman who was born there, who takes the city for granted and accepts its size, its turbulence as natural and inevitable. Second, there is the New York of the commuter - the city that is devoured by locusts each day and spat out each night. Third, there is the New York of the person who was born somewhere else and came to the New York in quest of something. Commuters give the city its tidal restlessness, natives give it solidity and continuity, but the settlers give it passion.

I am one of those passionate settlers...

4 comments:

Romance said...

I love that quote... living in NYC is a dream of mine which I sate with regular and extended visits... I feel most at peace in NY... the rhythm is so right for my psyche.. I am going to try to bring the Commander out in the Fall as I have a business gig in your fair city and hope to infect her with the desire to become a passionate settler...

Unknown said...

I guess I have fulfilled 2 of the 3 categories. I moved and lived in NYC for 10 years in what seems like a very long time ago, and try to make it back to catch a show from time to time. It is an incredible city, but I am fairly glad I no longer live there. Thank God I did at a time when my psyche allowed, although by the end of the run, I was glad to return to the quiet and slower-paced life.

Unknown said...

Apt description and makes me wistful as one of those settlers who left and longs to return. even my home state seems a second home after NYC. It seems NYC was my birth of consciousness....my sane insanity/ insane sanity was normal there. Here I am an aberration.
Nice find David.

Mark in DE said...

This makes a lot of sense. Carrie Bradshaw is a settler like you.

Mark :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...