Thursday, June 25, 2009

RIP: Octavia Saint Laurent


I know the death of Farrah Fawcett (UPDATE: and now Michael Jackson) is the big news today, but as a fan of the documentary Paris Is Burning, I was saddened to learn that Octavia Saint Laurent passed away last month after a long battle with cancer. You may remember Octavia as the gorgeous transgendered gal who longed to be like supermodel Paulina Porizkova...




I'm not sure if any of the main subjects of Paris Is Burning are still living ... we've lost Angie Extravaganza, Dorian Corey, Pepper LaBeija, Willie Ninja, and now Octavia. So sad.


You can bet there is a FIERCE ball going on in heaven now, and Octavia is earning "Tens across the board!" from the heavenly judges. Octavia, you earned your "Legendary" status in the ballroom ... may you now rest in peace.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Rest in peace, Octavia. You were a wicked beauty.

H2B said...

Octavia was one bad bitch! I remember her walking down 6th ave one day near Rock Center and boys on their lunchbreak drooling!

Prince Todd said...

I loved her! Oh my god! She was a goddess in my mind. Octavia did woman better than most biological females (lol).
How did she die anyway?

Beth said...

I've never seen that docu, but I'm intrigued. Is it about transgenders? Octavia was lovely. XOXO

Amber LeMay said...

How fortunate we are that "Paris is Burning" was made to capture all of those bigger-than-life personalities. If they weren't captured on film, unless you saw them in person, no one would believe they existed in real life.

"PIB" is always worth another watch.

Thanks DD for letting us know.

Wonder Man said...

She was one of the greats

Mistress Maddie said...

That is sad news! I hadn't heard of her passing, but now I do believe they are all passed on.

mikeinbama said...

Octavia rest in peace. I love Paris is Burning.

SailorAlphaCentauri said...

She was in a book I had to read for my Foucault/Lacan class this Spring, and I was just thinking about her when I found out about her passing. What a sad day.

Mark in DE said...

What a lovely tribute to Octavia, David!

Unknown said...

I used to manage a great barber shop @ west 4th street across from the basketball courts and Octavia had many friends that worked there and used to visit often..one day in particular she arrived via subway from Brooklyn in a skin tight black catsuit, wide belt, great designer bag and giant piked heels...@ 3pm in the afternoon!!!!!! And half the straight boys on the train following her!!! She was gorgeous, and was born a Legend

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...