Thursday, April 9, 2009

Happy Passover


I am not Jewish, so the Jewish holidays tend to sneak up on me. Last night at sundown was the beginning of Passover - which commemorates the exodus from Egypt and the liberation of the Israelites from slavery.

In Manhattan, it means tons of extra traffic on 9th Avenue trying to enter the Lincoln Tunnel. Many New Yorkers celebrate the holidays with family in New Jersey - where Aunt Fran has a family room for the kids to play, and a driveway for Dad to park...


Passover also means that my Dollar Store empties out the bread aisle...


In my high school graduating class of about 400 students (back in Central Pennsylvania), only two of my classmates were Jewish. The only thing I knew was that every once in a while those two kids (and a couple of teachers) had a few extra days off from school. Yeah, I was pretty sheltered.

When I moved to New York City, I was totally clueless. I remember coming home to Brooklyn from work on the first night of Passover. I walked past the picture window of a brownstone home and saw a card table set up in the living room. This was for the traditional Passover Seder (meal), but I thought these people were playing cards. Why else would they have a card table set up in the living room? It certainly wasn't Thanksgiving, and this wasn't the "Kid's Table"...


Of course my ignorance wasn't limited to the Jewish faith. I remember my first Ash Wednesday in Manhattan - wondering why so many people had dirty foreheads. Seriously.


So I'll leave it to Someecards - the hysterical online card site - to explain Passover...


Well THAT makes it easy.

7 comments:

Angel said...

I knew nothing about jewish people growing up either. We only had red necks in my neighborhood.

But when I lived with my dad in Caliufornia, I had a Jewish boy in my 2nd grade class. His name was Andrew...and for the life of me I can't remember his last name. But he taught us all about being Jewish. It was cool to a 2nd grader!

I DO remember my best friend at the time...Mary Stienhilber and my first crush..Marty Monsolve..but he liked Mary and not me. Everyone liked Mary. But you couldn't hate her cuz she was a really sweet girl. I wonder where they are now?.....

Stan said...

Mazeltov!

Dan said...

As you know Luis and I are both heathens, but good friends of ours who are Jewish always invite us over for Passover. Mind you they are not the most traditional of Jewish families, but Seder is pretty interesting. Mazeltov!

Beth said...

I'm really not that familiar with other religions' traditions or holidays, either, so don't feel bad. Even though I know about the ashes now, it still gives me pause whenever I see someone with that smudge on their forehead. I think to myself, "Oh yeah, Ash Wednesday." I'm really not a ditz, but it's something I just don't think about all that much.

I love Someecards! I can only send them to the people I know will get it, though. I can imagine some looking at some of the sentiments and thinking, "Well, that's just mean! What was she thinking?" LOL

Hugs, Beth

Marker said...

My favorite holiday - Passover.

Anonymous said...

Chag Sameach as we say for Passover, I'm Jewish and celebrating this year in Helsinki, where the Jewish community is very small, but, warm and welcoming. One cant even find "Matza" in any regular supermarkets... This is our substitute for bread during the Jewish holiday .. anyways, wishing you all a Happy Easter and here's to a beautiful spring to all of us! XOXOXO Vavi

Chup-Chup said...

traditional Passover celebration in Tel Aviv: the city is totally empty (some travel to have the Seder with their families outside the city... the rest is abroad for the whole holiday week)...i'm happy to say i was between those who left the country for a whole week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...