Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tiles For America


In the days after 9/11, many impromptu memorials sprang up around New York City. Some were simply pictures of the "missing" (which always made me sob) - but one tribute in particular was very unique. A few ceramic tiles, made by children, were attached to a chain-link fence surrounding a small NYC Transit utility shed. As time went on the number of tiles grew. Eight years later, this corner in Greenwich Village has become a tourist attraction.

I pass the Tiles For America memorial every day I walk home from work, and it always moves me. Last week I took a couple of pictures.



Check out there website HERE to learn more and see some of the individual tiles.

3 comments:

Renee said...

:-(

Beth said...

I still can't think of it without getting emotional...but then, I figure that's the way it should be.

Unknown said...

I saw this when I was in NYC on vacation a while back...so touching...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...