Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cheap Broadway Tix Under The Red Steps


Since 1973, the small traffic island (called "Father Duffy Square") at the northern end of Times Square has been the place to buy half-price tickets for Broadway and Off-Broadway shows. The TKTS booth located there is run by the Theatre Development Fund - which was created to support the Theatre Arts and to encourage diverse audiences to attend live theater.

TKTS works by selling day-of-show tickets that the theaters themselves have not yet sold. A few hours before curtain, the theaters will send unsold tickets over to the TKTS booth, which the public can line up and purchase for 25-50% off the face value (plus a small service charge). It's a great deal.

After undergoing a renovation, The TKTS booth recently reopened. The renovated TKTS structure now features a seating area above the ticket booth - a set of ruby-red bleachers where you can people-watch in the "Crossroads of the World"...


The statue (above) is Father Duffy himself. On Sunday I walked through Times Square and took these pictures of the new TKTS booth, and the red steps above it.


And below is the view from the steps - looking down onto the new pedestrian mall the city created by closing much of Broadway to automobiles. This, unsurprisingly, has pissed off cabbies, deliverymen, and commuters. On the other hand, the tourists (and the homeless) simply LOVE it...


6 comments:

Bob said...

We always get our tickets at TKTS. You cannot beat the prices and the seats are quite good.

JenM said...

Either way someone is going to be pissed! I used to get annoyed trying to avoid the pedestrians! I love the bleacher idea leave it to NYC to come up with such a creative use of space! I know where I'll be visiting next month!

David Dust said...

JenM -

You better let me know when you're here so I can give you a big hug!!!

XOXOXOXO

Joy said...

I didn't know about this and will go sit on those bleachers to get tickets when I am in NYC. And I will be!

Mistress Maddie said...

Oh Mame, I can't wiat to come back up so we can walk thru Times Square! You know how much I love that area!

Mark in DE said...

We bought our "Gypsy" tickets at tkts. It was easy and quick. Just remember to bring cash, because they don't take credit/debit cards.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...