Thursday, July 16, 2009

NYC: The High Line


I have blogged before about New York City's High Line Park - which was created by transforming an abandoned elevated train trestle/tracks into a public park. Yesterday was a gorgeous day, and I planned on walking home anyway, so I decided to walk along The High Line for the very first time. So I sashayed my fat ass over the the Meat Packing District, and I ascended the High Line steps...


When I came up into the park, all I could think of was how AMAZING it was. It was so peaceful, so serene - and even though there were people, it didn't seem crowded at all ...


I loved how they kept the tracks (in parts) and used the wildflowers/plants that had sprung up naturally when the train tracks were abandoned ...


A few buildings "straddle" the high line. This is hotelier Andre Balazs' new Standard Hotel...


More pretty wildflowers...


This was one of the coolest parts of the High Line. It was an amphitheater, with the "show" being the city below - which you viewed through huge plate-glass windows ...


It was funny, I was supposed to be walking home (AKA exercising), but the entire High Line is so conducive to sitting and relaxing and taking your time that is was hard not to stop and sit ...


Before I descended the steps at 20th Street, I took one last look ...


I will definitely be back. And if you are ever in New York, you should definitely visit the High Line Park.

Tomorrow I'll share some more pictures ...

10 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

That last shot reminds me of a terrace garden that goes across the back of the University of Washington hospital where Eldest and I spent a lot of time. Was so nice to have some nature to visit and help with the stress.

Angel said...

Tranny, you have to promise me that we;ll go here next time I visit! Lovely!

XOXOX

Dan said...

Girl- next time I come to NYC, you can take me on a tour!

theminx said...

I was reading about the High Line in NY Mag yesterday and was dismayed to find that I was *inches* away from it when I went to Jeffrey with Malan and the girls. Next time I'm in NY, I'll have to make a point to visit the park.

xoxoxoxoxoxox
K

Unknown said...

Just shows what a little creativity and a whole lot of imagination can accomplish.

Beth said...

Thank you for sharing these! I just love urban repurposing. So cool.

Congrats on your 3000th post! Good grief, gurl! :) XOXO Beth

Unknown said...

this is just wonderful. thanks for the tour. New Yorkers really know how to live in spite of concrete, glass and steel.

Mark in DE said...

We'll definitely have to add a field trip to High Line Park during our next DDBW. Thanks for the fab photos!

Trilllian said...

Wow! Ok let's go there next time we visit! Looking at the other comments we could all go at once! xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Joy said...

Count me in! Congratulations on your 30000 posts!

Love you! Love how prolific you are!

xoxoxoxoxxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...