Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday In A Red State


South Carolina has suspended its state sales tax on all gun purchases today and tomorrow - calling it an "ExtravaGUNza". From the New York Daily News:

The great state of South Carolina is putting its own sick twist on Black Friday with a tax holiday on firearm purchases. Not cars. Not clothes. Certainly not books. Just guns. For the 48 hours following Thanksgiving, gun buyers will enjoy a break of up to 9% in state and local taxes. Firearms traffickers are not expected to pass the savings on to New York criminals, but what is called "the extrava-gun-za" and "Second Amendment Weekend" is sure to help South Carolina stay among the top five states that provide 85% of the illegal handguns recovered in New York City.

Five states (Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia) provide 85% of the guns recovered in NYC crimes. Gun runners go to these states, where it's easy to purchase firearms, buy whatever they can, and then go to NYC and sell these guns to criminals. And, eventually, these guns are used to commit crimes.

Believe it or not, I am not someone who believes that guns should be completely outlawed. My dad always had hunting rifles in the house (under lock and key), and we were taught at a very young age to respect guns. I think if someone wants to buy a rifle and go shoot poor, defenseless Bambi, then the 2nd Amendment allows them to do it. But they should be made to go through background checks up the wazoo ... to insure they are not insane and/or a criminal.

But when people are buying and selling multiple automatic and semi-automatic weapons that are made solely to kill PEOPLE, I think that's where we need to draw the line. No one needs an AK-47 to kill Bambi ... but it does come in handy when you want to mow down rival gang members.

3 comments:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I like your other gun show posts much better! I'm with you... who needs and AK-40... unless AK means Anne Klein!

Kailyn said...

When I loved in Virginia, I marveled over the Sunday ads for K-Mart. Because in California. K-Mart does not advertise shotguns and gun cases.

Now you know my daddy is from the fine state of Georgia. There have been plenty of hunters in my family. I learned early on that guns are not toys. And neither are certain hunting dogs. (They use specially trained pitbulls for hunting boar. Dogs are kept well secured and children are taught to not approach the dogs.)

I have nothing against hunting rifles if your purpose is to put something delicious on the dinner table. But semi-automatic and automatic rifles? Oh yeah, and handguns? Yep, there's only one prey you're hunting there. And don't give me that home protection crap. Everyone knows the sound of a pump action rifle. And if you don't want to worry about law suits and the such, load that baby with rock salt instead of shot. Do you know how incapacitating the pain of having salt embedded in your skin is? No? Think about those snails you tortured as a child.

Beth said...

I'm with you on this one, David. What bothers me is seeing guns for sale at...GARAGE SALES!! That sort of thing, and lack of checks at gun shows, simply has to stop. I read a blog post once (it was some wackadoodle fundie Obama hater, and I read it for kicks for a while) that talked about how next thing you know, they won't let people with pre-existing conditions have guns...conditions like Alzheimer's. I shit you not. Yeah, great idea to have Grandpa packing, even though he can't remember which house he lives in. C'mon people, get real!

Unfortunately, I don't see anything changing soon. It's low on the priority list for the President. XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...