Friday, May 30, 2008

Summer Fridays


Last night I was walking home (yes, trying to get some exercise) from my part-time job, and I noticed that a couple of bars (of the straight variety) were PACKED. I started to wonder if today was a holiday and maybe people didn’t have to work. But then I remembered “Summer Fridays” – a phenomenon we have here in New York City. In many companies, people are off (or only work a half-day) on Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day. It allows people to start their weekend early, and anyone going to the Hamptons (or Fire Island) can get a head start and avoid the traffic. For those not leaving the city, many go out on Thursday since they don’t have to worry about being hung over at work the next morning.

Does this happen in other cities, or is this a strictly NYC thinng?

8 comments:

theminx said...

I haven't been out to a bar in oh, 10 years, so I couldn't say. I definitely haven't noticed that people are leaving work early on Friday...at least not where I toil.

Unknown said...

Hell, I haven't been out to a bar in ages, as there isn't one of the gay variety within an hour or more of me. So I wouldn't know what is going on out in the real world...

David Dust said...

I am glad I'm not the only one who hasn't been out in a while!

Anonymous said...

Tootes-I does happen here in Philly.Three out of the four fridays I work half days.And the happy hours roll right into the regular club hours!(not that I would know anything about this mind you)And some of the queens here head to New York,D.C.and to Rehomo Beach,I mean,Rebobth Beach which is always a loverly time.You and Beth would love the eye candy.I gets it's fair share of papis!

Unknown said...

And, oddly enough, I live about midway between Philly & Rehobeth, which are the nearest gay bars. Just made for an odd post from anonymous, naming those places.

Joy said...

It doesn't happen around here or Nashville.

I don't go out either and haven't been to a bar in ages. We just sit at our keyboards, I guess.

David Dust said...

Howard: "Anonymous", in this case, is my darling "younger sister" Maddie (AKA "Mistress Maddie". She is blond (like her older sister), and she sometimes forgets things...like typing in her name. :)

But I wouldn't trade her for ANYTHING!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, David. I am busily catching up, having left the nanny job to return to the office. and am still recovering my senses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...