Friday, February 27, 2009

Ongina Delivers


RuPaul's Drag Racer Ongina delivered a $25,000 check from M.A.C. Cosmetics to the Harvey Milk High School on Wednesday - according to the New York Times.

The New York City school was established for GLBT children who have had trouble in traditional schools due to sexuality/gender issues. The Hetrick-Martin Institute, which provides many services for the school, has recently suffered cutbacks in funding, and the M.A.C. donation was intended to help fill the budget gap.

The New York Times article had this to say about Ongina:

Ryan Ong Palao, who revealed that he was H.I.V. positive on television, is a contestant in the RuPaul Drag Race. He started suffering harassment when he first became more flamboyant after coming out in high school in a small town in Washington State. He would have appreciated a “school that provided me as much of an education as a comfort zone.” His drag identity is Ongina, a play off his middle name.

At least some of the students could relate to being a drag queen. Among the questions they peppered him with: what were his favorite makeup products (C-Thru is his favorite lip gloss) and how long it takes to get into drag (two hours).

I LOVE it that the kids wanted to know about lip gloss and drag - and those questions were from the BOYS!



8 comments:

Angel said...

what a fabulous school!!! we could use more schools li ke that in America, yaknow? shouldn't everyone be entitled to go to school....without fear?

Miss Ginger Grant said...

If I had gone to a school like that then I wouldn't have been the class fag that everyone picked on!

RAD said...

Love Ongina! OMG-- I didnt know he was from WA state!

Anonymous said...

There needs to be more of those schools around the country. DQ has an openly gay classmate and she says he doesn't really get bullied, but she was sad because he never goes to the dances or the overnight field trips. Her words, "It isn't right that he feels awkward or like he can't do these things. He's a kid like us, and it's stupid that he can't do what we do."

David Dust said...

Jennie -

That's because your darling Drama Queen was raised by a fabulous mother.

And I think it's encouraging that she goes to school with a boy who is officially "out". When I was in school, even the most obvious boys (and girls) didn't have the guts to officially say "I'm gay". These kids were tormented by others already - and it would have been much worse for them if they would have admitted to it.

I guess it's a step in the right direction that DQ's classmate doesn't get bullied. But obviously he's not enjoying a fufilling school experience if he doesn't feel comfortable enough to participate with the other kids.

Unfortunately, it's not socially acceptable for older gays to "mentor" younger ones - and help them through the coming-out process. People immediately assume it's something sexual. I remember the (obviously) gay teachers in school wanted NOTHING to do with me or any of my (obviously) gay classmates. Even though I was in the closet (as were the rest), those teachers knew we were gay and didn't want to risk their jobs by befriending us. Yet if a female teacher would have taken an interest in any one of us, no one would have batted an eye.

One of the most fufilling friendships I ever had was with a 70-something year-old man who was a "regular" at my restaurant here in NYC. When Bill could no longer leave his apartment, I used to take dinner to him every night - and we would sit and talk. His wisdom and knowledge and wit were priceless. It wasn't until he died a few years ago that I realized how good and valued of a friend he was. I just wish I would have known him when I was 17, confused, and in need of guidance.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Wonder Man said...

greatness

the dogs' mother said...

Mark in DE said...

Hmmm, I wonder if this means that Ongina is the winner...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...