Friday, February 20, 2009

The Project Runway Season 6 Fashion Show


Bitches, I just want you to know what a fun time I had in the Bryant Park tents this morning at the Project Runway show. Here is a short and sweet recap...

I arrived at Bryant Park before the 9:00 am start time, and they herded us like cattle into the main tent. I spotted Season One winner Jay McCarroll immediately – he was dressed like Maude on an acid trip, so he was kind of hard to miss.


Waiting to get in near me was one of the interchangeable White Girls from last season – it took four different people looking directly at her for someone to finally remember her name – Jennifer Diederich (thanks T-Bone!). The one memorable thing about Jennifer is that she has very lovely teeth. See – who says I never have anything nice to say about the Fashiontestants?!?

I found my way to my seat, where I got to sit beside the fabulous Minx (she was also my dinner companion last night). On the other side of me was a lovely young woman named Morgan, who had actually heard of me before – and was a fan of my blog!! I must say, that was kind of cool. I kept asking her: “REALLY? You’ve heard of my blog?!?”. Dearest Morgan: it was a pleasure meeting you.

The Minx and I played the “Spot the Fashiontestants” game – which was pretty easy to do. Seen: Kara Janx, Stella!, Straight Kevin, Korto, JerHell, Suede, Stankley, Straight Joe, Steven Rosengard, Chris March, Malan, Wesley (although I didn’t see Daniel), Jack Mackenroth, Blayne, Christian (MANGO!!), Ricky (wearing a hat), and Carmen (like the opera) Webber (like the musical composer) – who was wearing a weird Grace Jones-esque outfit.

We were sitting directly behind many of the Season 5 Fashiontestants. In fact, I could have easily hit Stankley with my pen if I wanted to. She was dressed up, as always, like she was going to the prom in 1948. But Kenley smiled a lot and chatted with the others and seemed to be charming. It didn’t seem like anyone held any grudges toward her – except me and Tim Gunn, of course. Here is a picture I took of Kenley from my seat. WATCH YOUR BACK, GIRL!...


Then Heidi, Michael, Nina, and the Guest Judge – Suzy Menkes – entered. Suzy isn’t a household name, but she is the ultimate fashion insider – and the Fashion Editor of the International Herald Tribune. That’s Suzy on the left…


Heidi (wearing hot pink) introduced the Judges, thanked us for coming, and said a few words about this Project Runway Season 6 – which still hasn't aired because of the ongoing court battle. Then Heidi said those magic words: “Let’s start the show".

Three collections were shown. There were no designer introductions or appearances. This means that when the season finally airs – many of us will spend our time trying to match these three collections to three designers on the show.

You know me – I am NOT a fashion expert. So my opinions don’t mean squat – but here’s what I thought about the collections. If you don't want to hear anything about the fashions that were shown – stop reading now.

I thought he first collection (below) was the weakest. All the girls wore thick black headbands and hair extensions – and the clothes were rather one-note and boring. In fact, I thought this may have been a “decoy” collection – until I figured out there were no decoys this season.


The second collection (below) had a lot of variety – but seemed to include many elements from past Project Runway designers. I could see nods to Christian, Kenley and Rami. Even Andrae’s “mud puddle” dress was represented. To me, the collection was a little disjointed.


The last collection (below) seemed to be the strongest – and got the greatest audience response. It was edgy and fashion-forward. And kind of fierce.


Again, I don’t know crap about fashion – so please take my “reporting” with a grain of salt. Check Blogging Project Runway for eventual pictures of all the collections.

At the end, Tim Gunn came out and told that he had been backstage like a nervous father with his children – and thanked us all for coming. And with that, it was over and I headed to work.

Here are some other fuzzy pics I took with my camera:

Heidi Klum on the runway...


Señor Weepy – Ricky Lizalde. The hat was as big as he was. Notice Suede and his technicolor fauxhawk at the bottom of the pic...


JerHell and Korto...


Burnout Stella was that Ratbones with her? with her Brother...


Later I checked Getty Images, and found out former Daddy of the Day and Olympic gold medalist swimmer Ryan Lochte (below) attended the show!! Now there’s someone I would have liked to meet…


Again, thanks to my Guardian Angel for the ticket!!

18 comments:

mikeinbama said...

AWESOME.................

I'm so happy for you. Great Recap of the show. I hope whenever the show finally comes on, it doesn't disappoint.

mikeinbama said...

Oh yeah, Ryan Lochte is so HOT!

Anonymous said...

So very, very cool. Thank you for whetting my appetite! Can't wait for Season 6!

Angel said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, I am as jealous as one single person could ever be!!!! you got CONNECTIONS GIRLFRIEND!!!!

oh to just be in that tent....with the excitement in the air....and all those people!

Jealous doesn't even begin to describe tit! But if anyone had to be there, it had to be YOU Tranny!!!!!!!

I love you to death!

XOXOXOXOXOX

Mistress Maddie said...

OH girl! That looks like such a good time! The last two collections did look the best. Now I just want to know before I read it in the press ,if you stabbed Suede with a dirty fiftly fork? Also I have to say Stella looked pretty good with some color to her washed out mug. And the Jay reference to Maude? Clever. Glad you had a good time Mamie!

XOXOXOXOXOX-
Maddie

Tivo Mom said...

I am so jealous! I hope that you had a great time. Loved your insight. And I do trust your judgement. It has to be better than mine. when it comes to fashion.

Joy said...

Thanks! It was a little like being there. :-) I hope they get all that worked out and let PR air soon.

I'm so glad you got to go!!!!

Unknown said...

What fun! Great pics!

the dogs' mother said...

WOW! I so, so, so hope we get to see the season and try and play - who's in the finale the whole time.

Thanks for the report.

kayce. said...

um, three things:

1: hey ryan heyyyyy!!!
2: kenley looked precious.
3: did heidi wear... PANTS?!? clearly this season of pr is doomed. bitch KNOWS she's not gonna get on tv. if she was, miss kitty woulda been out to play as per usual, LOL.

Mark in DE said...

What a charmed life you lead!!! I am honored to know you, and can't wait to see you again in person. Now stop screening my calls!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi David -- I almost peed my pants when I saw that you actually attended the PR show today!!

Yay!! I was dying for any PR news!! Another great post, I totally love your blog!

Hope you don't mind, but I posted the link to this on my On the Set TV blog. (You once commented on my Top Chef post.)

I think your Brilliant!! and love your style!

If posting the link is a problem for you, just let me know and I'll take it down.

Thanks -- Kim

Wonder Man said...

jealous jealous jealous

TLo said...

Burnout Stella. Was that Ratbones with her??...

That's her brother.

Too bad we didn't see you. Were you hiding from us?

XO
TLo

The Scarlett said...

Hey, sweetie - so sorry I missed you.

Toni Campbell said...

Just introduced to your blog by Kayce (thru Twitter). Love the recap of the collections, although I liked the first one better than you. They all seem more "wearable" than previous seasons!

theminx said...

I was very happy to hang out with you at dinner and the show. Wished you could have gone to the par-tays too...would have made them more fun :)

xoxoxoxoxo

JenM said...

Sounds like a great show. I hope you enjoyed it you had a LOT of great sightings (I am jealous).

I also have a tidbit for you! My aunt attended a couple of runway shows on Tuesday or Wednesday and watched from the AMEX skybox (lucky bitch) AND guess who did a question and answer with the guests???? Gail and her BOOBIES!!!! She has the photos to prove it. My aunt says she was sooooo pretty and sweet. (Again, lucky bitch!) Just thought you might like to know.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...