Tuesday, February 3, 2009

RuPaul's Drag Race - Episode One - Drag On A Dime


First of all, before I get all recappy, I must say how much I enjoyed last night’s new show on Logo – RuPaul’s Drag Race (AKA "Project Tranny"). The show, like drag itself, is a celebration and a tribute to many “reality” shows that came before it: especially Project Runway and America’s Next Top Model. But isn’t that what drag itself is? – a celebration/spoof/tribute of femininity, divas, and women?

I think ultimately the reason why I liked the show so much was the fact that it is hosted by the great RuPaul. RuPaul is Heidi Klum, Tim Gunn, Nina Garcia and Tyra Banks all rolled into one. She is supportive of the Dragtestants – and above all, she is HYSTERICAL, and doesn't take herself too seriously. To me, the contestants are simply supporting actresses and RuPaul is the star of RuPaul’s Drag Race. And that’s just fine with me.

One by one, the Dragtestants enter their version of the Project Runway workroom last night. Here is a list of the girls, in order of appearance:

1. Shannel. Boy name: Bryan. Hometown: Las Vegas. Has had a drag show in a Vegas nightclub for six years. She is a showgirl and is wearing the drag version of assless chaps.

2. Nina Flowers. Boy name: Jorge Flores. Hometown: Denver (originally from Puerto Rico). Doesn’t consider herself a female impersonator – has a very androgynous look. Nina is covered in tattoos, and looks extremely butch as a boy. One of three Papis on the show.

3. Rebecca Glasscock. Boy name: Javier. Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale. “Just a small-town girl” who claims to not have had any work done – despite the puffy lips and slim nose. As a boy, he is CUTE. Gets creeped out by Tammie Brown (see below), who looks like a Serial Killer and keeps winking at him.

4. Ongina. Boy name: Ryan. Hometown: Los Angeles. Doesn’t wear wigs, padding, and doesn’t “tuck”. Her name comes from her middle name, “ONG”, and her desire for a vag-INA.

5. Victoria “Pork Chop” Parker. Boy name: Victor. Hometown: Raleigh, NC. She is the oldest Dragtestant (39) and the largest.

6. Akashia. Boy name: Eric. Hometown: Cleveland, OH. “If I was a boy, I’d be a stripper or a slut” (which is what I would be if I had a 32-inch waist). Akashia is “the bitch” of the group.

7. Tammie Brown. Boy name: Keith. Looks like a cross between Lucy Ricardo and Lizzie Borden. I would describe her look as 50’s Serial-Killer Chic.


8. Jade. Boy name: David. Hometown: Chicago. David is the cutest boy there (aye Papi!) and wants to show off his talents as a dancer.

9. Bebe Zahara Benet. Hometown: Minneapolis (originally from West Africa). She brings an “international influence” to the competition.

After they have all gathered and double air-kissed, RuPaul enters and greets the Dragtestants. They are all truly in awe of the drag superstar – who paved the way for many of these younger drag performers.

Ru introduces this week Guest Judge – hot Papi photographer Mike Ruiz. Mike is a friend of RuPaul’s (see them below), and wears a tank top like Ru wears a wig – fiercely.


The Dragtestants will be taking part in a photo shoot, the outcome of which will help determine the girl’s final score for this episode. The girls will be photographed doing a “car wash” scene, complete with two shirtless hunks, a couple of sponges, and at least one long wet hose.

During the soaking-wet mayhem, the best thing was RuPaul’s encouraging commentary to the girls:

“That’s a DIRTY car!”
“I’m gonna write you a ticket!”
“Scrub him down, he’s dirty!”
And my favorite: “This ain’t no truck stop, honey!”

After the girls get soaked, they all return to the dressing room and get out of their makeup and drag clothes. Everyone is surprised that Nina Flowers is covered in tattoos, and Akashia says she could “be a lesbian” with Jade – who is a cute Papi as a boy.

RuPaul re-enters and tells the girls what their challenge will be. This week’s theme will be “Drag on a Dime”. The Dragtestants will have to create a signature look using only hand-me-down clothing and Dollar Store items.

After hearing this news, some of the girls look like they just spent hours putting on girdles, panties, hose, thigh-slimmers, etc. – and then figured out they had to take a crap. They were NOT loving this idea. Especially our Vegas Showgirl (Shannel) – who brought a $25,000 wardrobe with her – and Pork Chop, who has never sewn anything more than a button in her life.

Everyone grabs and growls at the rags and trinkets available and starts to create their garments.

Poor Victoria (AKA Pork Chop). She is a big girl – and has to break down 3 outfits to create one that will fit her. The result is a hot mess. Actually it’s just a mess. We also find out that drag has not always been fun and games for the oldest Dragtestant. Victoria has been shot at, had things thrown at her, and been sent to the emergency room (in drag) just for being a drag queen standing outside a gay bar. This would probably happen again if she showed up to any gay bar wearing that outfit.

RuPaul pays the workroom a visit – and does his best Tim Gunn imitation for a combination assessment/pep talk/counseling session. Again, RuPaul’s commentary is priceless:

“Teena Marie, eat your heart out”
“You feature ‘the back door’ a lot, don’t you?”
And my favorite: “You have to use your skills to pay the bills!” Actually, it was probably skillz/billz with a “z”.

Seriously, I was waiting for a “You better MAKE IT WORK” – but that never came. On her way out the door, RuPaul told the ladies she would see them tomorrow on the main stage and gave her final words of advice:

“Don’t fuck it up!”. Carry on…

The next day, the Dragtestants have 1 ½ hours to get into drag – and then it’s time for the show.

On the runway, RuPaul makes a GRAND entrance and introduces the permanent judges: Fashion Journalist Merle Ginsberg and Project Runway designer Santino Rice. This weeks Guest Judges are hottie Mike Ruiz and fashion legend Bob Mackie. Yes bitches – the same Bob Mackie who designed this…


And this…


Did I mention how much I’m loving this show??

Anywhoo, it’s time for the runway show. The girls walk their garments down the runway – and RuPaul provides commentary. This is what they should let Michael Kors do on Project Runway. Can you imagine if Kors screamed “She’s pooping fabric!!” or “That crotch is insane!” DURING the runway show?!? Now that would be good television.

When all is said and done, Jade, Shannel, Bebe and Serial Killer Tammie are safe. Ongina and Nina Flowers are in the top, and Rebecca, Victoria Parker, and Akashia are on the bottom.

The judges talk to the five remaining girls. Merle is cute and funny – saying that “Ongina” sounds like a heart attack combined with a yeast infection. But Santino tries a little too hard to be a bitchy Nina Garcia (which is funny, since he fought with Nina when he was on Project Runway). Santino even tells Akashia that her outfit made her look like she gave “$20 handjobs”. For the record, Akashia charges only $15 for a handjob – and if you buy four she’ll give you one free.

Nina and her androgynous look win first place – so she and Ongina (who I keep wanting to call “Orangina”) are safe.


After dissing Rebecca Glasscock’s nose job (which she claims she didn’t have) the judges tell her that she is safe. This leaves big girl Victoria ‘Pork Chop’ Parker and handjob whore Akashia.

Again, it is RuPaul’s turn to shine. “I’ve consulted with the judges, my lawyer and housekeeper”, she says – but RuPaul will make the final decision. She tells the two bottom bitches they will have to “lip-synch for your life!” to Ru’s hit “Supermodel”.

“Good luck, and don’t fuck it up”, RuPaul adds. And the girls get busy.

Akashia kicks ass and serves it up on a silver platter. Pork Chop, on the other hand, ends up looking more like apple sauce – tripping and stumbling her way through the song.

RuPaul announces: “Akashia – chantay – you stay”. Then follows up with “Victoria – sashay – AWAY”.

So the big girl, Victoria “Pork Chop” Parker (below), is sent back down south to dodge bullets outside the gay bar. Good luck girl.



FYI: I am not alone in my praise of the show. Queerty said it finally gives us a reason to watch Logo, and our out Dust Bunny Drag Diva herself – Miss Ginger Grant – gave it high marks. However, a friend of mine who really knows her reality TV emailed me last night saying she HATED it. How did YOU all feel?

Remember, you can watch the entire episode online – go HERE – and then let me know what you think.

18 comments:

kayce. said...

number 7 has THE. BIGGEST. HEAD. EVER.

Amber LeMay said...

I really enjoyed the show - but did have trouble remembering who was who in and out of drag... maybe that's what I get for supporting the major sponsor, Absolut.

Was hoping that Pork Chop could have stuck around. While she may not "fit" the description of what Ru's looking for, I think she represents more of the drag queens in the country than most of the others. And her observations and comments would've been good TV, too.

Pork Chop, honey, you can come to Beaver Pond, Vermont, anytime!

mikeinbama said...

I enjoyed every minute of it. I laughed my ass off because the show has taken segments from so many other model/fashion reality shows.

It was trannylicious!!!!!!!!!!
I have set my DVR to record it every week. It was fun and didn't take itself too serious.

Of course I can't leave out that it was a HOT TRANNY MESS and I loved every minute of it.

Unknown said...

damn I wish I could see the damn show...

Mark in DE said...

I loved it! Ru is hysterical. Several times she cracked me up with her comments. I was a little disappointed that the dragtestants seemed more bitter than bitchy, but as you said, Ru is the star of this show and the dragtestants are meerly supporting actresses. I adore Tammie Brown, the Bette Davis look-alike!

Wonder Man said...

I loved Pork Chop

Miss Ginger Grant said...

Poor Pork Chop- she would have Momma'd those other gurls when the ultimately get themselves intop trouble and start catfighting. And I love Tammie Brown, too, but I'm afrad her days are numbered as well. One of RuPaul's gifts is that she is gorgeous and clever- I'm not sure we're going to find both traits in any of these girls!
Thanks for the shout out!

Joy said...

I loved it for all the reasons you gave as well as getting a glimpse behind the scenes of a world I'm not that familiar with. I've been to a few drag shows and had some questions, some of which were answered when I read Hiding My Candy by The Lady Chablis of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil fame. But I digress.

RuPaul has been a fave of mine for ages! Love her!! It's great to be able to see a whole show where she's the star saying her outrageously wonderful stuff and changing looks.

Tammie creeped me out, too, until she owned that runway, but she's still pretty scary. Love how you described her! Perfect!

I don't remember who they all are either yet and agree with Amber than I wish Victoria could have stayed on there longer.

So hilarious how they borrowed from other shows but made it RuPaul's all the way. I kept waiting for "Make it work" and "Carry on" as well, David.

I'm hooked and will keep watching it and am SO glad you're recapping!!! I also love getting to read the comments - as always they make it all so much better!

Mistress Maddie said...

I thought this show would breathe life into what is becoming a very tried and silly medium for shows. I thought every minute was entertaining. I was routing for Porkchop but now my other two are Shannel and Jade. I guess we'll see!

Anonymous said...

LOVED the show, RuPaul is hilarious and you are dead on that she is Klum, Gunn, Garcia and Kors all rolled into one! I will miss the Pork Chop too, but I think they really have a great crop of talent up in there. Must watch TV!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks chef...I was embarassed to say it. I couldn't take my eyes off that head, then looking at the face below it...so exquisitely done but just not enough to overcome that forehead!it was so Elsa Lanchester Bride of you know who.
I have to confess that I have issues- and all with myself. Gee I don't want to be left out,and will probably continue just like looking at a horror movie.
It's just that this show has incredible potential to be degrading. I guess I is part of my old Atlantic City experience when at one point it became a race for something like 12 gay bars within one block the heyday before gambling to provide a drag show. It Got so bizarre and was my introduction to drag.
I just hope this turns out more supportive and less degrading than what I saw in those days.
I know it's part of gay life, but it not part of gay as I dream of. More's the pity for me, eh? My stomach just kept turning over and over and I prayed for mercy on each judgement of each candidate.
-Charlie

Unknown said...

One more comment...if you hadn't reviewed it David, I couldn't have beared it at all. You lifted my attitude a great deal...that there is something funny and fun to see in it. I don't know what it is in my psyche, but it really takes the stomach right out of me.
-Charlie

Sam said...

Talk about giving a new meaning to big headed bastard, #7 looks like the child of frankenstien.

Miss Ginger Grant said...

Charlie:
um, we need to talk. I apologize if I turn you stomach. Try Pepto Bismol...

Unknown said...

I need to add one more comment. I have had a lot of drag queen friends in my time and oved them all. I am not sickened by drag queens at all.I wrote Miss Ginger Grant and hope she understands that I think she's great and love reading her stuff. What I am talking about is that potential for degrading them that scares me. for example, i don't think RuPaul would have tolerated a water hose in the face. What else is in store for these folks?
-Charlie

Unknown said...

I loved it. Thought it was fantastic, every bit as good as your recap - which I couldn't say about TC lately. RuPaul is exceptional, and born to do this. And I keep waiting for someone to tear the walls down! And Mike Ruiz in a wifebeater - life is good.

Eric Arvin said...

Tammie creeps me out a bit, but she's absolutely fascinating.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to set my DVR and missed the show. TG Logo is as bad as Bravo and will run it at least 5 times a day.

Will read you recap once I've caught the show.

cb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...