Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dinner With The Minx's


My friend The Minx is in NYC with her adorable husband, Mr. Minx - and I had the pleasure of having dinner with them last night. Since I am completely unadventurous when it comes to restaurants, The Minx always picks someplace for us to eat when she comes to town. And she never disappoints.

This time she chose the Times Square Japanese bar/restaurant - Sake Bar Hagi. She had read good things about the place, and Anthony Bourdain even liked it when he visited.

Sake Bar Hagi serves "small plates" which are really reasonably priced. I let The Minx do the ordering and I went along for the ride. Here are some of the delicious dishes we sampled...

Gyoza (like pot-stickers) and Fried Calamari...


A couple of platters of assorted skewered meats ...


A noodle dish with pork and string beans...


One of the things I just couldn't attempt was the Octopus Balls (below). If The Minx's would have pretended it was delicious I probably would have tried it - but they were ambivalent so I stayed away. I usually like a nice ball, but not this time...


One of the things that surprised me was the fact that they had a corn dog - served with mustard and ketchup. How could you not love a restaurant that serves corn dogs?!?...


It was a great dinner with great friends - and the price was right. We each had a glass of Sake, and our bill came to less than $100. For 3 people eating in Times Square, that is a huge bargain!


PROGRAMMING NOTE: The Minx WILL be recapping last night's episode of Top Chef, however she won't be posting it until Friday ... stay tuned.

13 comments:

Tom A. said...

I can't wait for her review! can u do me a favor and tell me when they are going to rerun the episode? (in a time before 10pm!)

I'm afraid to go on bravotv.com, since they always have a spoiler on their home page!

lissonifan said...

No fair! I can't wait till Friday for the recap . . . I need my Minx/Dust fix now.

Tom A. said...

wait i can check tvguide.com

David Dust said...

Tom A. -

It will repeat on Friday @ 6PM.

XOXOXO

behrmark said...

I loves me a good corn dog. Mm-mm-mm!

Behr Hugs!

Miss Ginger Grant said...

What a cute couple!!

Kate said...

That's my best sister-friend and her wonderful hubby!

David, so glad to hear that you had a good time with two of my favorite people in the world. You're certainly right about Kathy - she always picks a good place!

Such a cute pic!

Ken Riches said...

Good people and good food, sounds like a great evening :o)

Mistress Maddie said...

Ummmmmm, I didn't see any Pork buns!

Joy said...

Sounds like such a good evening! The Minx does her homework!

Beth said...

Dang, that IS a bargain in NYC! Sounds yummy! I might have tried the octopus balls, but at the first sensation of rubberiness, I would say no thank you! I ate some octopus once and could feel the suckers on my teeth. Ick.

Is it just me, or does Mr. Minx look a bit like you? XOXO Beth

Angel said...

mmmm calamari. good stuff Tranny. and how cute are The Minx's???? FUN!!

Anonymous said...

Kathy is looking wonderful (as usual!) , glad you guys had fun in NY!! food looked delich! big hugs to you all, XOOX Vavi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...