Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Return Of The Roxy?


Towleroad reported yesterday that NYC gay megaclub The Roxy might re-open. It closed last year and was supposed to be demolished to make way for condos. But apparently even MANHATTAN real estate is in a slump. Read the story here.

I LOVED The Roxy. Before I even moved here, I would take weekend trips from PA to NYC – and Saturday nights were ALL about the Roxy. And when I finally did move to NYC, I went almost every weekend.

Over the years, I saw performances by Chaka Khan, Gloria Gaynor, Cher, and Madonna (where I got a glimpse of Boy George and freaked out). I saw a totally wasted Calvin Klein picking up a go-go boy (something I saw him do in MORE THAN ONE bar!). Writer Michael Musto – one of my earliest gay heroes – was also there every Saturday, although I was always too chicken-shit to talk to him. Roxy doorman Derek always let me bypass the line, and Cathy (the head bartender) always made sure my drinks were strong and quick. It was always a good time.


Perhaps the most unique thing about my Roxy experience was the method by which my friends and I would find each other. The Roxy is an old roller skating rink, with the oval-shaped “rink” acting as a huge dance floor. The whole way around the oval was a walk way, allowing you to literally walk in circles (actually, ovals) all night. When I was there, I always walked in a “clockwise” direction – ALWAYS. When someone wanted to find me, they would walk “counter-clockwise” and eventually we’d meet. It was a foolproof system that was so effective it made us giggle.

Back when I was REALLY young and reckless, when the Roxy would close at 4:00 or 5:00 am, we would head 10 blocks north to the old Sound Factory and listen to DJ Junior Vasquez spin until the next afternoon. THOSE were the days…

7 comments:

Dan said...

I am so jealouse! I never made it there but hopefully that will change.

Unknown said...

That was after my time. I recall when they cleaned up NYC, everything moved over to 8th avenue. There were certainly no restrictions of any kind there in the bars or even out on the streets. it was like moving to a gay country where anything was allowed. Picts are good...loved the search and find method.Too funny....and drinking all the way round no doubt.
Atlantic City was 24/7 but restricted pretty much to one area.We did those all nighters, in fact all weekenders without sleep- just running on uppers and booze.

Unknown said...

Well, I remember going to the Roxy on occasion, but my favorite was to see The Communards play there, I think it was the late 80s. There was lots of dancing, and great fun. The crowd pretty much went wild when they starting in on 'Don't Leave Me This Way.' The place was pretty packed. As was often the case, I went home alone to Brooklyn.

Joy said...

What a wild child you were, DD! Sounds like a lot of hedonistic fun! Memories, ah yes!

Jimbo said...

Sign me up! Dan, when you go, I'll go to. What a party! YAY!

Mistress Maddie said...

Ah David,those were the days weren't they!I did like the Roxy,althought I think my favorite was the Palludium.I still remember the time with you and Vera at the Roxy for gay pride.I believe that was the night Gloria Gaynor was there performing.And I remember Lady Kier Kirby also there dancing.What a good time that was!

Anonymous said...

The going clockwise and someone else going clockwise is the same as in Party Monster...a club tradition just as much as disco biscuits I guess - and I do it too.

And I have the Junior Vasquez mix of AbsFab in my IPod..."I am THIN and GORGEOUS" is the best work out song!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...