Sunday, March 22, 2009

Arby's Coming To Brooklyn


Arby's has announced its plans to move into the landmarked Gage and Tollner restaurant space in Downtown Brooklyn. This is excellent news - since I can get there in about 15 minutes on the subway from my job. I can almost TASTE the curly fries now...

The space is legendary. Gage and Tollner opened in the location in 1892 - and celebrities like Mae West and Jimmy Durante dined in the gas-lit dining room during its heyday. For years, Gage & Tollner was said to be the oldest restaurant in New York City, until it closed in 2004.


The interior of the restaurant space is landmarked, so Arby's will have to have all construction plans approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission. I have no idea how they will turn this...


Into this?...


But I did some research, and Arby's has done it before. This is from an amusement park/"frontier village" in Utah...


Pretty! Raymond Chera - the franchiser who will open the Gage and Tollner location - plans on opening 41 more restaurants within the 5 boroughs of NYC over the next ten years. So for his efforts in the name of Roast Beef, I am awarding Mr. Raymond Chera a "Golden Bunny" award.



Dearest Mr. Chera - let's get moving on the construction! I'm HONGRAY!!

10 comments:

Kailyn said...

See? The folks in Atlanta did hear you. You're going to have to let us know when the swanky Arby's is opening because I think I might just have to plan a trip to NY just around that event.

kayce. said...

forty-one?!? damn, david, you're about to be drowning in arby's! i know how happy this makes you... again, can't wait for the first "i'm in arby's, bitch" post!!!

Beth said...

Wow, great news for New Yorkers!

The interior of that restaurant is gorgeous. I love it when people work to preserve historic places!

B.

the dogs' mother said...

Wow! Who ever heard of economic bad times? Eldest has snagged a second job at an end of the month opening bar and grill right on Lake Washington in Seattle. So people are planning on making money.

Mark in DE said...

This is truly GREAT news for you!

Renee said...

The arches kinda look like the top of the Arby's hat lol.

Angel said...

OH THANK YOU BABY JESUS!!!! Finally, an Arby's close by!!!!!

Joy said...

I hope they can keep some of the original fixtures and retain the atmosphere. I'm so happy for you David!!!

Mistress Maddie said...

OH BOY! And have you planned out the weeks your heading up there already girl? Between you and Michael and when we come up, the place is paid for already

Unknown said...

I'll be darned...I ate there when I lived in Brooklyn Heights in the dungeon at the end of Jerolamin St for a while. I remember those long aprons and all the waiters were mature men.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...