Sunday, March 29, 2009

New York City Fire Escapes


This great picture, from the excellent photoblog Greenwich Village Daily Photo, captures a colorful block of tenement buildings here in NYC. From the looks of it, I would guess it was taken on Macdougal Street in the Village near N.Y.U. One of the buildings says "Macdougal" at the very top - but that could have been a company or family name.

The block I live on consists entirely of similar tenement (or "walk-ups", as we call them) buildings - but my block isn't nearly as colorful. Check out Greenwich Village Daily Photo HERE.

7 comments:

Bob said...

Thanks for the link, the photos are wonderful. I especially liked the Grafitti Door picture.
I once found a site, since forgotten, that had so many photographs of New York in the 20s and 30s.
Some fantatsic shots there; I copied as fast as I could so i could have some framed for the house.

Beth said...

One of the things that I was most pleasantly surprised by when I first visited New York was walking in the Village. It was just a gorgeous neighborhood with all the red brick and iron railings. It was warm and inviting. (The wonderful Italian meal and wine we had in a room upstairs at a Village restaurant in an old building probably helped my good mood!)

Our friend Raquel lives in the Village, and is somewhat of an amateur NYC historian. Some time ago, she sent me this site, and I wonder if it's the one Bob is referring to?

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/

Hugs, Beth

Bob said...

That's it Beth!
Woo hoo!
Thanks!

Kanani said...

I just noticed your new photo. Have you lost weight or what?
Wow!
You look happy and more fit!

Angel said...

that is just beautiful! oh the pictures I could take if I lived there...just NYC life at its best.

Mark in DE said...

That's a great photo!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous, gorgeous photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...