Thursday, March 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Teena Marie!


Happy Birthday to one of my favorite singer/musicians of all-time – Miss Teena Marie. The Ivory Queen of Soul turns 53 years-old today.

For you casual fans who were around in the 1980’s, you should recognize Lady T's biggest hit – Lovergirl. That song appeared on Teena’s Starchild album, which was released in 1984. Bitches, my friends and I WORE THAT CASSETTE OUT during our trip to Wildwood, NJ after graduating from high school!! Personally, my very fave Teena song also comes from Starchild – the slow-jam Out on a Limb. All I need to hear are those first few notes and my hands shoot up in the air, my eyes close, and I GET MY SONG ON!

Old-school fans will also recognize Teena Marie’s early Motown hits, such as I Need Your Lovin’, and Square Biz. Then there is also the classic duet with her late mentor (I’m) Rick James (Bitch!) called Fire & Desire. Since Rick’s death, Teena performs BOTH parts of the duet in concert.

Speaking of concerts, I’m NOT much of a concert-goer. I never seem to have the money, and I am perfectly content to listen to my favorite artists on CD (no, I still don’t own an MP345IpodThingy). I have only seen a handful of concerts in my entire life, and the ONLY person I’ve paid to see twice is Teena Marie. Both concerts were at clubs here in NYC, and my only goal was to stay sober enough to hear Out on a Limb. I was more successful during the second concert...

Happy Birthday Lady T!!

7 comments:

mikeinbama said...

I love Teena Marie.

Marker said...

I like Kelly Marie better.

Kailyn said...

Right before I heard that news thing about Sheree this morning, the folks on the radio station were wishing Teena Marie a happy birthday. I love me some Lady T.

SailorAlphaCentauri said...

I have to admit, Square Biz is my favorite of her songs.

Wonder Man said...

you know I love her!!!

Sam said...

Biatch Please! A true real fan of Ms. T would have never forgotten:
"If I were a Bell,
Baby, I would ring
Tell the whole world
that you are my everything"
Sing it Biatch, you know you are!
xoxoxoxox
Let's Ride Ho

Mark in DE said...

David Darling, we are SO much alike! I am also a fan of Lady T and my favorite song of hers is also 'Out on a Limb'. God, that Starchild albumn brings back the memories!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...